Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Faster move on same disk

Hoi,

When you move a large file to a folder on the same disk (NTFS) with F7 its not very fast. About the same speed as moving it to an orher disk.

Some tools, like TotalCommander and even Windows explorer, can do this very very fast. As long its on the same disk.

I would like the same speed with IrfanView.

Thanks in advange!

My limited knowledge opinion is that with Explorer/NC the files aren't really being moved when it's on the same disk. Only the address is being changed. Try moving a file to the same disk then copying the same file to the same disk, it will be much much slower.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum,

yes, moving on the same dsk is just something like a rename of file. But there are several things that has to be checked since Windows XP (2000?) is possible to mount a second hard drive / USB stick / card reader as a folder. So in this case a rename won't work. I don't know if the Windows API will handle a move on it's own...

Regards, Nils.

Comment

When you move a file within the same Disk, you are merely changing its 'address' or 'location detail', in the FAT or NTSC file system, as the case may be - you are NOT physically copying the file. This is why the operation is completed in a blink. In this case, you are not changing the file contents.

When you are copying the file to another Disk, you need to create the 'address' or 'location detail' in it's FAT or NTSC, as well as physically copy the file to the Disk, even if you have not changed the file contents.

To draw an analogy of sorts, if you more your residence from one house to the next house, a minor correction in the Local Listing would suffice. However, if you are migrating to another country, there are a lot more formalities!

When you edit a picture though, you change its original file contents. Therefore, saving it to the same location on the same Disk will still require a full and complete copy operation. Hence, it will take the usual amount of time that a copy operation takes, even if it is on the same disk. Nothing can be done about it!
        Last edited by WellOiledPC; 24.05.2010, 04:42 AM. Reason: To add the Smiley :)
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Hoi,

Thanks for al the answers.
          I knew why moving a file on the same disk can be very fast.
          But htis is not the way its implemented within IrfanView!

My request is to implemented it into IrfamView.

Comment

If the move is implemented simply with a call to the MoveFileEx function (with MOVEFILE_COPY_ALLOWED flag), such optimization should be already there.
            IrfanPaint developer
            The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
            IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hoi MItaly,

Thanks for your anwser.

I think that the issue is the first word you use, IF

It seems that this is not the way its implemented.
              Maybe my question should be: Can it be implementented this way?

Comment

Working...
              X