Audio annotations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Audio annotations

First, I think that IrfanView is one of the greatest contributions to modern computer users.

I have been looking for an audio annotation program. Here's why:

I have scanned a ton of old pictures. I'd like my older relatives to tell me about them so that are not merely generic pictures of people I've never met. I'd like to audio record my relatives stating their comments about the pictures as they are displayed on the screen. I'd like IrfanView to save the recordings to a universal audio format (say, .wav). I'd like Irfanview to either (1) embed the audio file in the jpg, or if that is not possible (I doubt it's possible), or (2) save the audio file in the same folder as the picture with a filename derived from jpg that was being commented on.

In a perfect world, there would be an "annotation slideshow mode" where the show would start, and recording would start simultaneously. Each slide would cue the recording of a new .wav file. When the next picture advances, the recording for the previous slide would stop and save automatically and in the background, and a new recording would initiate. At the end of a 20 image slide show, there would be 20 .wav files that corresponded to those pictures.

Yes, I could just narrate a "movie" of those slides, but that would not allow me to control the length of the narration (per slide), and the picture quality would degrade as a result of being transcoded to a movie format.

As far as I know, no other program does this (although newer versions of Photoshop allow voice annotations to be stored when one is working in an image, for workflow purposes -- this defeats the purposes of doing multiple photos at once, and saving in a universal format that could be read or updated at some time in the future).

I think this feature would add a lot to those archiving there historical family photos. It would make these otherwise generic images into true historical artifacts.

Much thanks again for the amazing product.

Paul

Hi,

I don't know what is possible with which format.
    There are currently two methods which I know:
    - create a video DVD oder AVI. But you loose the flexibility for either good edit and rearranging without the original sources
    - create a Powerpoint or OpenOffice presentation

I konw a lot of people like to have something like this and maybe someone will create a standard for this, even if it is a simple zip file containing a descriptive / control text file and the audio and video stuff...

Regards, Nils.

Comment

!

Your Powerpoint suggestion may be the most workable solution, short of a plug-in in Irfanview. Thanks for the idea.

Paul

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
      Hi,

I don't know what is possible with which format.
      There are currently two methods which I know:
      - create a video DVD oder AVI. But you loose the flexibility for either good edit and rearranging without the original sources
      - create a Powerpoint or OpenOffice presentation

I konw a lot of people like to have something like this and maybe someone will create a standard for this, even if it is a simple zip file containing a descriptive / control text file and the audio and video stuff...

Regards, Nils.

Comment

PDF presentation

You may think about to create a PDF presentation which allows to embed wav files and to save the images in the quality you are preferring.

Irfanview allows to create PDF presentations using the ImPDF plugin, but audio is not supported in the moment. I asked once if some one could provide an example to see how Acrobat is doing this (better to analyze a pdf instead just working with the PDF specification) but we just got simple presentation files.

Comment

Yes! This is a great idea! I'd still like an Irfanview solution someday, but the PDF idea will do in a pinch. Thanks!

Paul

Originally posted by impdf View Post
          You may think about to create a PDF presentation which allows to embed wav files and to save the images in the quality you are preferring.

Irfanview allows to create PDF presentations using the ImPDF plugin, but audio is not supported in the moment. I asked once if some one could provide an example to see how Acrobat is doing this (better to analyze a pdf instead just working with the PDF specification) but we just got simple presentation files.

Comment

I like the proposed use of IrfanView here - its very innovative!

You may also like to write to Irfan and customize IrfanView for your requirements, if you are ready to spend for the customization.
            Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
            IrfanView Website - Here
            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
            Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
            X