Save for Web Hotkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Save for Web Hotkey

I would love to have a hotkey for the "Save for Web" option. This is literally the only Save option I use since I am constantly optimizing images for instruction documentation. I can do everything I need to do in Irfanview with the keyboard, but then I have to use the mouse to save the file.

A hotkey, would save a lot of time. I suggest Ctrl + Shift + S

Even better, how about a keyboard shortcut editor in which users can create their own KB shortcuts. This would probably be a long term project, but a hotkey for the RIOT plugin seems easy enough.

I hope you will oblige. Thanks for an awesome application.

Making the keyboard customisable is the only way to go. Everyone has their own favourite functions, and not all will want to use the same hot key. It has been requested many times before, but I suspect it is a non trivial task or it would have been done by now.

You do not have to use the mouse to save the file — Alt F, R, R, Enter will do what you need. Access keys are pretty much universal — it pays to get into the habit of using them. Alt F will open the file menu in most programs.

Try a forum search for "hotkey," "keyboard," or "shortcut."
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.05.2010, 05:07 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

A shortcut editor will need memory, and this is something Irfan want to save. IView should be a small and fast picture viewer. Until now the most common files could be opened with the small exe and some dll's. But if you install all the plugins for having a moderate graphical tool it costs until now more than 20MB. This is not really much today, but in relation to the simple viewer it is huge.

A second reason against modified shortcuts is that you can't use shortcuts in documentation or discussion threads since it is not sure that everybody uses the same shortcuts.

So I think Bhikkhu's method is a good solution. Another idea might be using a tool like AutoIt or AutoHotKey which will translate your prefered shortcut into key simulation for IrfanView or other programs. But you have to write some small files and read some pages of the manuals of those tools.

Comment

I don't think memory is an issue. IrfanView already reads i_view32.ini to know the current configuration settings. I don't see why it cannot also contain keyboard shortcut definitions, or read another config.ini file for shortcuts.

Opera uses a plain text *.ini file for fully customisable shortcuts. It is easy to understand and edit with or without the built in interface for doing it. All you need to know is the correct syntax for commands — so you just need a list of valid commands and some basic knowledge of the syntax.

The menus, toolbars, and mouse gestures in Opera are customised in the same way.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

expanding the ini file would be a nice solution.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
          X