Using OptiPNG with Irfanview; already have a .BAT file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using OptiPNG with Irfanview; already have a .BAT file

I would like to ask: How do I integrate OptiPNG's executable with Irfanview, so that when I save PNG files, it will automatically call OptiPNG to do the compression?

]I have already created a .BAT file that I use when recompressing PNG files. Here's the contents of the .BAT file using OptiPNG: (It put it in Windows' 'Send to' menu. Also, the script is designed for single PNG files [I use another script for folders containing .PNG files])

Code:
    @echo off

:compressFile
    "C:\Program Files\Compression Scripts\OptiPNG\optipng.exe" -zc9 -zm9 -zs0-3 -f0-5 -preserve %1%
    echo.
    echo.
    SHIFT
    if exist %1% goto compressFile
    PAUSE
    Note: I do not use Irfanview's PNGOut plugin because it is very slow. OptiPNG gives out a good balance between speed and compression size. Also, it's free, open source software.

Hi Dazed
    Others will be able to help you better, but can I suggest the RIOT Plugin for IrfanView v.0.4.1 (see first sticky thread in this section) may be just what you require. In v.0.4 it states that - Improved PNG compression (The internal PNG "best compression" was substantially improved.) - new: ability to easily use well known external PNG optimizers like optiPNG, PNGOut.
    Hope that helps - Al
    Last edited by Al; 11.06.2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al View Post
      Hi Dazed
      Others will be able to help you better, but can I suggest the RIOT Plugin for IrfanView v.0.4.1 (see first sticky thread in this section) may be just what you require. In v.0.4 it states that - Improved PNG compression (The internal PNG "best compression" was substantially improved.) - new: ability to easily use well known external PNG optimizers like optiPNG, PNGOut.
      Hope that helps - Al
      Thanks. I have the RIOT plugin installed. I would like to know if it already includes OptiPNG when saving. Or should I configure it first? If yes, how do I do this?

Comment

Hi dazed,

Another PNG optimizer -- pngout -- is already available with IrfanView.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi Dazed
          You need the optipng.exe executable in the plugins subdirectory of irfranview and suspect that you need the "heavy" version of the RIOT plugin from the RIOT website. Al

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
            Hi dazed,

Another PNG optimizer -- pngout -- is already available with IrfanView.

Laurent
            I prefer OptiPNG because of the good balance between speed and compression ability. Also, it's open source with a permissive free software license.

Originally posted by Al View Post
            Hi Dazed
            You need the optipng.exe executable in the plugins subdirectory of irfranview and suspect that you need the "heavy" version of the RIOT plugin from the RIOT website. Al
            Thanks. I'll try this...

Edit: I just tried it. Is there a way to make it preserve the time stamp (like Irfanview's option when saving images)? OptiPNG also has the preserve timestamp option but I don't know how to enter the command line argument for OptiPNG in the RIOT plugin.
            Last edited by dazed; 12.06.2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

To keep file date/time in RIOT you need to use the Batch Optimizer and check that option.
              Normal Save does not keep original date/time.

optiPNG can be downloaded and installed automatically by RIOT when you first try to use it.
              Further more, an optimized version of optipng is used in RIOT, smaller and faster.
              RIOT developer
              visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

There is a version of open source (sourceforge) OptiPNG from 2017 that works with RIOT. I simply downloaded the ZIP file (windows version) and put the optipng.exe file into the Irfanview Plugins folder. When I used the RIOT option in Irfanview and picked OptiPNG, it used the optipng I had added. Location is http://optipng.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Working...
                X