Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Upload files to web server feature

Hi there,

I have sent a private email to Irfan few days ago regarding this feature, but have got no reply. As far as I understood, he's quite a busy man, that's why I will post my ideas here in short.

First of all, I would like to say "sorry" if such feature already exists. I didn't find it in program features and add-ons, and if I search here on forums, I've got "Database error". You guys need to fix forums search :-)

Ok, in the related thread I found there is only a way to upload by FTP. What I have to suggest, is to add a feature that allows to upload by HTTP, like any regular browser does.

For this, IrfanView would have a settings box, where users could add a website title, username/password, the WWW path to the script which will handle uploaded files.

Under "Thumbnails" browser, there could be an additional right-mouse-click menu "Upload to web server" with the options to choose the server (optionally there could be multiple websites specified). When this menu is clicked, IrfanView would generate thumbnails and web-size pictures in a temporary folder, then upload them all to the WWW script.

On the server side, this could be an open source i.e. free solution and gain a lot of attention from users. Everybody could install the server PHP script which handles server's API for IrfanView. API could be a simple set of XML callbacks or SOAP. There could be only a few functions - for example, for verifying login/password, getting server settings (web-size dimensions, is it allowed to upload original files, maximum upload size and so on), getting server's response after upload is completed.

I could program web part at no charge, and even pay for that feature a bit if required. My interest is to program such "web gallery" addition to the free forum software script miniBB I am developing for years.

The only idea around it is to concatenate client-side and server-side technologies to work for the end user most effectively. As you may know, currently Web standards do not allow traditional ways of submitting multiple pictures or files at once, using the standard "Browse" element. Uploading/opening files one by one is really annoying. Of course there are attempts to create Flash or Java modules for that purpose, but all they miss the most important thing - manipulating images on the client side. Additionally, not all users want to install Java, and Flash has its big cons regarding files upload.

Many servers have less than 2 Mb limitation of the uploaded size. That's quite a good security setting, meaning 2 Mb is enough for web files, web pictures, and that's the absolute true. But that means, if you take 5 Mb picture from your camera, and would try to upload it on the server with such limitation, it won't be uploaded. You only will take your traffic with no sense. Anyway if the 5 Mb picture could be uploaded on server, it doesn't mean you need to upload the whole size. It could be re-sized in advance to a smaller dimension, so this could take also less traffic t

Also, you have "Email to..." and "Upload by FTP" features, but often email inboxes also have limitation of received files (10 Mb probably), and not every server would have FTP enabled for public. Also... what would be really the sense to upload to FTP? Only for backing up purpose...

The most important is to publish pictures on website immediately. That's the trick!

With this solution/feature, we would go to the next step of technology. The API callbacks and the gallery script I would program, would be distributed for free and could be installed on any server having PHP and mySQL (any minor hosting nowadays have them). Using IrfanView with such available web script, it would be possible to create online galleries with maximum quality and speed. It would be the most effective way of sharing pictures with friends. In this case, you would need just to copy pictures from your photo camera on disk, open IrfanView's Thumbnails browser, select all or certain files, click the button - and voila... in a few minutes the web gallery is online. Your really personal gallery which is owned by YOU, not Google. Just take the link and send it to friends.

This also would suppress monopoly like ImagesHack or Picasa, because that way you could install the web app and create a content working *for yourself*, not major companies.

Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated :-) Thanks for your attention.

The most important thing for IrfanView is : let's keep it simple and functional. That's the trick. No bulky "suite".
    Doing FTP transfers is way beyond the task of an image viewer
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by paul-p View Post
      Also... what would be really the sense to upload to FTP?
      I use the feature frequently if I want to add an image link on a forum that doesn't otherwise allow uploading images.

Yes, IrfanView is light and simple and should stay that way, though that does not mean that some things cannot be improved without making it bloated and slow like other programs.

If your email to Irfan was anything like as long as your post, no wonder you got no reply yet.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It's not about FTP transfers, that's why I have tried to explain every detail. It's my nature to explain things in details. I understand that almost nobody wishes to review long posts. But then - how could I explain it all?

I've got reply from Irfan btw.

I would wonder if I would suggest something that doesn't really stand closer to the imaging program. But this feature is closely related to IrfanView existing functionality, it may use its resizing and publishing functions. And it could be just a plugin. It's not about megabytes of code at all.

And it provides the further life of the program - extension to a web sharing. Web sharing is the key point of any modern IT technology. Don't you agree?

But please don't think it's about "p2p sharing". Read carefully above :-) It's about quite easy and effective thing.

Comment

BTW, do you have any Plugin programming guides?

Which language IrfanView is written on?

May be it would be worth for me really hire a person who would develop such Plugin. Without disturbing the busy IF team :-)

Comment

Originally posted by paul-p View Post
            BTW, do you have any Plugin programming guides?
            No. There's no standardized plugin interface. Usually you have to build a native dll whose functions, decided with Irfan, get called by the main program.
            Which language IrfanView is written on?
            C++, but as long as your plugin is a plain dll that exports "normal" functions (no COM/ActiveX dll, no .NET class library, ...) it can be written in any language.
            Last edited by MItaly; 11.06.2010, 02:50 PM.
            IrfanPaint developer
            The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
            IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Working...
            X