Straighten/rotate tool enhancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Straighten/rotate tool enhancement

Since I use the above-named tool quite frequently, I think I would find it useful if, when creating the line that is to be the example of 'straightness', I could drag it beyond the edge of the window, causing it (the window) to scroll with the mouse. This is because I often have a huge image that is very slightly skewed, and I could more accurately deskew it if I could make the line go from the very top-left to the very bottom-left, for example. I can obviously achieve this by zooming out, but then I would lose the resolution that allows me to place the line accurately.

Cheers.

Nice idea.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Actually, this may just be me, but another thing occurs to me. When one uses the straighten tool, you don't use it again (unless you've messed up the alignment). Generally speaking, I use the straighten tool, then go on to crop. So it may be useful to automatically switch from the straighten tool to the standard select tool after straightening. If I've had a drink or two, I sometimes think that this will happen, so I straighten, then go to draw a box for cropping, but instead turn the image by 45 degrees.

As I say, that may just be me.

Comment

I do not use the Straighten/ Rotate tool so much - you do and I'd say, Great Suggestions, both of them! Hope Matteo is tuned in...
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
          I do not use the Straighten/ Rotate tool so much - you do and I'd say, Great Suggestions, both of them! Hope Matteo is tuned in...
          Sure the first idea would be nice, but I doubt that it is that easy to implement. Just look at what happens if you deliberately scroll the image using the arrow keys while drawing the line in the IP rotate tool.
          There is clearly an issue with redrawing overlay lines in IP (which we also see when the selection box needs to be redrawn) and MItaly has already said that he wants to rewrite the underlying code rather than try to patch over the problems.

The value of the second idea is debatable.I quite often do a rotation, decide it is not quite what I want, click Undo, then reuse the rotate tool to improve the result. It is also not a good idea for one tool to behave differently to all the others in this respect.

Comment

I'm one for repeated align/undo use too. - Besides, I generally don't like tools trying to second-guess what I want to do.

Thumbs up for the first suggestion though.

Another observation I made on this tool is, that when I do click into the image and immediately release the mouse button, thus failing to draw a proper line, this causes IV to abend.
            Last edited by jazzman; 26.06.2010, 09:37 PM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

First suggestion: interesting, but I'd have to change the interface with IV, since I would need to add some message to say to IV to change the current position in the image; I'd also have to change the way the UIDraggingTool class (and all the dervied ones) to make them determine from the very beginning of the dragging operation the first point coord in DIB coords instead of window coords.
              Second suggestion: really easy to implement, it's just matter of adding a
              Code:
              RevertToPreviousTool();
              exactly here, but I too think that the "try, undo, retry" mindset is dominant when using this tool, so I don't know if it would be a good idea to implement it. Even if I added it, as happens with the color picker tool the user would still have the chance to temporarily disable the autorevert by selecting the tool holding the Shift button.
              Last edited by MItaly; 26.06.2010, 10:53 PM.
              IrfanPaint developer
              The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
              IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Working...
              X