No announcement yet.

New Windows Software to Turn Scanned Images into 'just text' for OCR: Pretext

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Windows Software to Turn Scanned Images into 'just text' for OCR: Pretext

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on software which you feed scanned images - photos, or books or magazines (and computer screen snapshots) - and it strips out all the background, leaving just the text. This new resulting image goes into your OCR software. The result is more accurate OCR processing.

It's called Pretext and a free time-limited demo is available for Windows (it's a proper installer/uninstaller). Also, on the website you can instantly see what it does by moving the mouse over the colored magazine header:

One day it might become an IrfanView plugin.

Finally, there's the temptation to say "That's easy, I could program that", but it's actually a very complex task.

Jeremy Smith
    San Fran Systems

Hi Jeremy,

your software seems quite an interesting idea (actually some time ago I needed something like that), but keep in mind that this board is not for advertising. No problem with this very post, which is more informative than a simple ad, but this shouldn't be the normal way to use the forum; you may also want to make clear that the program is in open beta if you want to get some people to get involved and give it a try to report you bugs.
    Anyway, my compliments for the software; out of curiosity, are the AI techniques you mention in the "About Us" neural networks or something else?
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
      Hi Jeremy,

your software seems quite an interesting idea (actually some time ago I needed something like that), but keep in mind that this board is not for advertising. No problem with this very post, which is more informative than a simple ad, but this shouldn't be the normal way to use the forum; you may also want to make clear that the program is in open beta if you want to get some people to get involved and give it a try to report you bugs.
      Anyway, my compliments for the software; out of curiosity, are the AI techniques you mention in the "About Us" neural networks or something else?
      First, yes, it is in open beta, and it's free to use until beta testing is done.

As for the AI techniques, I use a couple of clustering algorithms, but the rest is a mixture of guesswork, rules, and brute force.

Comment

Working...
      X