v4.27 (and some previous) Crashing Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending v4.27 (and some previous) Crashing Bug

Thanks for Irfanview - it is a wonderful program!!!!!
    Bug report:
    with the following black / white TIF file it is possible to crash irfanview.

Instructions:
    - open the file
    - press shift-f, so the whole image is visible with a small border
    - select all with control-a
    - move the mouse just above the top of the image (border area)
    - move the mouse down very slowly so that the cursor just changes from normal arrow to up/down arrow, ready to re-size the selection box.
    - click the mouse
    (CRASH)
    - this has been the case with several irfanview versions, I have tried several computers, both XP and windows 2000, with the same results
    - this is an example file - I have had crashes with many different files, when trying to select the top edge of the image
    - I will leave the above file up for a while so you can download and check it.
    Thanks!

No problem on Windows XP Home. Tried with and without toolbar/statusbar showing.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IV crashed once while playing with selections and zooming with this file.
      But not reproduceable.

Comment

Further information

...the first file I posted, only seems to crash in Windows 2000. I have just posted 3 more, these crash IV in both 2000 and XP.

The procedure is the same as my first post, above.
        Thanks.

Comment

Able to reproduce easily now. The key point seems to be to click without dragging the mouse.

I have forwarded the sample files with a crash report to Irfan.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It happens in Vista too. This is the Vista crash report.

Code:
            Problem signature
            Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
            Application Name:	i_view32.exe
            Application Version:	4.2.7.0
            Application Timestamp:	4bff7787
            Fault Module Name:	i_view32.exe
            Fault Module Version:	4.2.7.0
            Fault Module Timestamp:	4bff7787
            Exception Code:	c0000005
            Exception Offset:	00016f75
            OS Version:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
            Locale ID:	2057
            Additional Information 1:	1882
            Additional Information 2:	5ae3ad99d68172555b58cbefa44e7fd5
            Additional Information 3:	f5cc
            Additional Information 4:	f182d89671acfeb13f77c067c33a6fef

Comment

Experimenting further I am fairly certain that, in my case at least, the crash is dependent on where the arrow is placed relative to the top edge of the image when I click on it.
              When dragging the edge of a selection, if you do not place the dragging arrow symmetrically on the side you are about to drag then, as soon as you click on it, the side instantly jumps to align with the centre of the arrow. That happens before you even start to drag.

I find that if I position the arrow low on the top edge of the image that sheetmusic posted (as in the first attached image), then I can drag it down without problem. If I set it high on the top edge (as in the second) then I always get a crash as soon as I click.
              Attached Files

Comment

Irfan sent me a test version of the executable. So far, I was unable to get a crash with it. If you want to try, rename i_view32.exe and replace it with this one.

If it crashes, this EXE will write a log file in your sytem/user TEMP folder. The file name is: IrfanViewLog.txt

Please send that text file to Irfan referring to this thread.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.07.2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

No, I cannot get this version to crash.
                  I find now that the program I have been testing is not an original v4.27 either but an early modification that I got from Irfan. With that version I can control whether or not the program crashes in the file that sheetmusic posted, according to where I place the double headed arrow over the top edge of the selection, as I described in an earlier post. An original v4.27 is much worse and crashes before I can even position the arrow. Now this later modifcation will not crash at all, so it appears that Irfan may have solved this one already.

It is not all good news though. The problem with correctly displaying the selection box in IrfanPaint gets progressively worse with each modification.

Footnote: Forget that comment about Irfanpaint. There is a new version of that just been released and the selection box problem is now worse than ever with any variant of 4.27
                  Last edited by Mij; 29.07.2010, 12:14 AM. Reason: Overtaken by events.

Comment

This version doesn't crash. I processed some 70 files and no problems.
                    Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Comment

I think we can assume that this bug will be fixed in the next release. Irfan is still looking at it. If it surfaces again later, then please start a new thread. Likewise for any new bugs with the IrfanPaint plugin selections.

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,

I was about to post when yours came through. Just processed some 140 .jpg files without any problems using your attachment. So, everything is perfect and the IV universe is back on its proper axis. However, I still suspect that my, and others' problem may have been due to mixing plugins from different versions. Many thanks for your help.
                        Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Comment

Working...
                        X