Artifacts and Slow Speed with Animated GIFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artifacts and Slow Speed with Animated GIFs

When I open animated GIFs with Irfanview, I have two problems: the GIFs are played very slowly and have visual artifacts. This problem occurs with all animated GIFs except very simple ones. I have no problem when viewing any GIFs using other programs such as firefox or internet explorer.

I've attached a file that show what the visual artifacts look like in a GIF. "Transformers artifacts.png" is a screenshot of what the gif look like when I play it with Irfanview. The visual artifacts manifest themselves as clumps of yellow and orange dots on the picture. The original gif can be found here: http://www.gifbin.com/982877

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling irfanview but the problem persists. I also installed irfanview on my laptop and that computer also had the same problem playing GIFs.

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files

No artefacts here, unless I zoom in, which comes as no surprise. Animation does look a bit slower.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'm surprised that no one else seems to have problems viewing .gifs. Just to be sure, I tried installing the newest version of irfanview on a third computer (my work computer). This computer has never had irfanview installed and runs windows XP (the other two computer I tried it on run Windows 7). Even on this third computer, I still had the same problems viewing gifs: significant visual artifacts and slow speed.

On my newest installation, I didn't change anything about Irfanview from the default settings it came installed with. Is it possible there is some setting that most people use that I'm not which could cause this problem? I'm just not really sure how I'm the only person who has this problem.

Comment

Hi,

I've tried your example:
        IrfanView 4.27 plays it fast.
        Firefox 3 plays it fast.
        Internet Explorer 8 plays it slower. (maybe it renders and calculates images between the original for a smoother display).

Tested on Windos 7 32 bit.

Regards, Nils.

Edit: I also see the artefacts in IrfanView. And the first round is slower, but then it plays the animation fast.
        Last edited by derniwi; 22.07.2010, 06:26 AM.

Comment

This IS A bug

I think this should be again discussed.

I also see the same results:
          - Artifacts (Irfanview default settings).
          - and play speed is a slower than in Google Chrome or Firefox.

This is definitely a bug.

Comment

Definitely agree.
            The same gif plays well on Chrome, newest firefox, but IrfanView slows every animated gif down.

Comment

I can confirm that in new IrfanView (4.35) animated GIFs are much slower than in older versions (4.20 tested).
              Example: Click image for larger version

Name:	tc217-2.gif
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	80929

//EDIT: Actually Chrome is opening that with the same rate, so maybe there was a bug in the previous versions
              Attached Files
              Last edited by PenaPP; 08.05.2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

I do not have v4.20 to hand but I cannot see any difference in speed between Irfanview v4.28, Irfanview v4.35 and Firefox when displaying your animated GIF PenaPP.

No difference in speed between those three for the animated GIFs below either. Resolution when viewing at 100% is much the same too but I see that when zoomed to 200% Firefox does display quite a lot better than Irfanview.

P.S. Those GIFs are just examples. Not intended to be any sort of comment!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mij; 08.05.2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I'm also experiencing lag with GIFs. It's more clear when the image has movement in it, just try playing mine on firefox or any other browser and then compare it on irfanview. The delay in the animation is obvious.

IrfanView is my favorite image viewing software, but this is a really annoying bug. I hope it gets fixed soon!

http://s24.postimg.org/rv7di91sl/sonic_walk.gif
                  Last edited by Skirmant; 20.08.2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Well, I don't know how it's supposed to look, but it looks much better to me in IrfanView than in Opera or Firefox.

If I was developing animations I would view them in the application that I used to create them and test them in a couple of browsers. I don't see what the the purpose of viewing them in IrfanView would be, other than perhaps for indentifying and organising images on my own hard drive. To see how they would appear on the web, one should use a web browser.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes the animated GIF that Skirmant posted does run slower in Irfanview v4.36 than in Firefox or Chrome on my computer too, unlike the previous ones that have been posted. Image quality looks much the same though in any of the applications. I tried Irfanview v4.28, the oldest version I have on my hard disk, and that was no different but I did dig out an old floppy disk with v3.00 on it and that does play it at the faster speed, so somewhere along the line it does seem to have changed.

I suppose you could report it to Irfan Skiljan and send him that file. He was very proud to have been the first in the field with animated GIFs all those years ago so he might feel motivated to do something about it (particularly if you mention that Xnview still plays it at full speed).

Comment

Sorry, but I had to revive this one...
                        When I open this 800 x 800 pixels animated GIF, IrfanView shows what looks like "grid artifacts". When I hit Enter to see it in full screen all gets well, also when I hit Enter again to get it back to normal view. I guess it has to do with the zoom IV does to fit the image 1:1 in the first place, right? TIA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV_prob1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	81061
                        Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
                        Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
                        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Working...
                        X