Individual .INI files not working in 4.27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Individual .INI files not working in 4.27

I have installed 4.27 on W7 and selected User's AppData folder for the location of .ini file. It doesn't create or use the individual user's .ini file. All are shared in ProgramFiles (x86)\IrfanView. Users have to be given write access to the program directory to play a Slideshow, and to change Options/Properties/Video/UseDirectShowing in order to play movies - for example. Attempts to define INI_FOLDER don't seem to help. Neither does copying the .ini file to AppData\Local....\IrfanView.
    In fact the option at installation time seems to have no effect.

What should have happened is that the i_view32.ini file in the Irfanview folder of ProgramFiles is created with just these 2 lines
    Code:
    [Others]
    INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView
    That redirects all information written to the ini files to the user areas of the Appdata folders.
    I cannot say why it did not happen but you can move your existing ini file into Appdata and then manually create an ini file with those 2 lines in your ProgramFiles (X86)\Irfanview to sort it out.
    That is all you need to do. There are no registry entries to worry about.

Comment

Wow. Thanks Mij. That worked. I didn't even have to copy the i_view32.ini file to AppData which was good 'cos I wasn't sure where %APPDATA% pointed to. IrfanView just created a Directory AppData\Roaming\IrfanView[Language] and put i_view32.ini and Slideshow.lst in it. Brilliant.

Comment

You're welcome.
        Assuming that Win7 works the same way as Vista, a useful tip is that you can type system variables like %Appdata% into the Search/Run box at the bottom of the Windows start menu, press enter and it will open in Windows Explorer whatever folder the variable is currently pointing to.

Comment

yes that works too. we keep on learning new tricks.

Comment

Working...
          X