Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch or single resizing image to exact size and/or ratio and fill up space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch or single resizing image to exact size and/or ratio and fill up space.

Coming from this thread link above, I think this feature would be great, especially one that will work for batch resizing as well. I'm trying to resize a bunch of pictures to make them as wallpaper for my HTC EVO which 960x800 and having this feature + having add blank spaces and centering it in a batch would make life extremely easy.

Updated that thread with info below.

It isn't so bad if I had a small handful of images but i have quite a few so it becomes a bit painful. I would actually like to preserve the size of the picture but have the blank border(s) be added to meet a specified ratio. For example the HTC EVO's wallpaper is 960x800 with a ratio of 1.200. Say I have a picture, for example, that is 1427x568 with a ratio of 2.513. In order to meet the 1.200 requirement, basically a border needs to be added to the image's side (top, bottom, left and/or right).

I'm not an advanced user of this program but what I've been doing for this example is I would have irfan set to fit image to the desktop (the F button) use the "change canvas size" (shift+v) option and add like 1000 to the top and bottom. Then I would use Ctrl+A to select all then adjust the top and bottom selection field to equal 1.200 then using right click to adjust that selection field up and down until I'm relatively happy with the selection. Finally crop the picture (ctrl+Y then save). The end result is what I pretty much get in the attachment. This is similar to doing a "Option" > "Set as wallpaper" > selecting Stretched (proportional) one one's wallpaper but restricted to a ratio and then saving it as a file.

Batching something like this would help me greatly. But if anyone knows of something much faster than this, I'm all ears

If this feature ever gets implemented, having option(s) to have the pictures set on the bottom, side, or top would be good too for those who don't want a "centered" picture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nusakan; 12.08.2010, 10:58 PM.

No cell phone currently has a 960x800 resolution. You have your specs confused.
    The Evo has an 800x480 screen resolution, and
    the iPhone has a 960x640 resolution.

Your calculating that an expansion of 1.2 has two problems with it:
    1) the Evo's native 800x480 resolution, expanded by 1.2, would result in 960x576, not 960x800.
    The 2nd number would require an expansion of 1.667
    2) You do not want any expansion of a wallpaper to get the clearest, cleanest display.
    You really would want to stick with a native resolution set of numbers.

Your suggestion does have merit, though, to have tailorable entry numbers for an end result; and it has been suggested before.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Hey ChuckE. The screen itself is not 960x800, you are correct on that. BUT, the wallpaper itself is 960x800, at least that's what I've gathered anyways. Don't quote me on that but for what I'm doing right now it appears to work . When you move the "desktop" left and right from the home window, the wallpaper moves with it so the wallpaper itself being 960x800 makes more sense. So what I've pretty much been doing is create a new blank image at that resolution and got that 1.200 number then pretty much added the blank borders to the image of my choice until they've pretty much reached 1.200. To my understanding this essentially "preserves" the image itself and all I'm doing is just adding the blank borders, no resizing of the image itself in any way.

Maybe I'm not understanding what that number means. Might as well ask. When you create a blank image say 900x900 and you do a select all, there's information on the title bar that says "selection 0,0; 900x900; 1.000" is that 1.000 not like a numeric value for like a ratio then? According to you, I think you're saying it's a numeric value for expansion? In my case all I'm doing to the image is taking that image, then adding the blanks to around the image until I get that number to 1.200 so the other confusing part about what you said is the clearest, cleanest display.

Like i said on the other thread, I'm not quite an advanced user of this program, just know a little bit to get around. Either way I think a feature like this would be nice to have, not just for what I'm doing now but could apply to other things like one who wants a "standard" size for like doing album art which not so squared pictures.
      Last edited by nusakan; 13.08.2010, 02:58 AM.

Comment

OK, I think I know what is happening now. The newer Android based touchscreen smartphones have an enlarged virtual desktop. It is larger than the simple HxV pixel dimentions of one screen. You can drag up, down, left or right to access those other out-of-view portions. In doing that scrolling, the wallpaper does a less-than same pixel count of shifting. You can see what I am talking about when you scroll a full screen in one of those directions, and the wallpaper only shifts slightly. It is a nice visual effect.

Only thing is I don't have my Epic yet, so I can't be precise as to how big the wallpaper must be, if there are specifics. Plus, since some models of phones don't have the same scrolling ability (limiting either direction or number of virual screens or both) the dimentions for one phone may not be optimum on another.

Again, all this is conjecture and guessing right now, since I have no phone to investigate on. So I will stop now, and if I am able to get more info of wallpaper sizes needed, I will return with more info. Sorry for the interuption.
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

no problem I just got my evo (Huge upgrade from using a windows mobile 6 phone) so I'm just having fun doing various things with the phone and since I primarily use irfan for most of my image related stuff, I'd figure something like this would be a neat feature to have.

Comment

Working...
          X