Windows Vista File Type Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista File Type Icons

Since changing icons for individual file types is not trivial in Vista, I've created (and wanted to share!) an icon pack for using Vista style icons when Irfan View is the default application for them. Icons for most types which Vista recognizes by default (bmp, jpg, png, gif, tiff, tiff) remains the same. Others get their icons from below, with the exception of swf which becomes an Adobe Flash 9 document icon.

I couldn't add Icons.dll here since it became fat with 256x256 icons. (They are compressed.) Here's the pack:
    Last edited by anes; 23.09.2007, 09:06 PM.

So there goes the memory while running Vista and similar fat software. For icons.

Comment

Lol ..
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi anes,
        Nice icons-pack indeed! Logical performance choises. I've tried your dll in XP and it worked. It's a pity though, your png-icon links also psd icons (PhotoShopDocument) and your gif-icon is linked to wmf (WindowsMetaFile) as well. Does the dll works like that in Vista too? If so, you should look into this. Lots of succes!
        Last edited by Sjef; 30.09.2007, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Sjef: It works that way in Vista too. I chose the PNG icon for Photoshop documents since the PSD icons Photoshop assigns is similar to that. It also resembles layer structure as well as the transparency (what Vista guys thought of actually). The GIF icon is given to all those formats that are usually used for primitive cg drawings. Low bpp raster and vector formats got it. I haven't actually encountered a WMF with a raster photographic image inside. Photographic formats, those which uses any spectrum domain coding (dft, wavelet) and those which are used mostly for scanned documents got the JPG icon.

Icons all formats are assigned with this logic in mind, with the exception of portable graphics (PPM, PGM, PBM) which were given the last image icon from Vista which is probably used in some system dialog box. (I haven't seen it though.)

I could have made some logical errors. Feel free to point out any wrong matches

Comment

OK anes, allways happy to learn something. The reason I only tried your icons (and not use them as well) is because I cannot recognize the formats by your icons, e.g. the psd/png-format. I know there are extensions too, but I suppose I will prefer the old (but very beautyful) icons-pack (to be downloaded here) even in Vista in the near future.
            Last edited by Sjef; 01.10.2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

How do I use these icons? When I associate .png with irfanview, windows picks the ugly default irfanview icons. I have copied the icons.dll to the plugins folder, and it shows up in "Installed Plugins", and in extensions/advanced I've picked "use individual icons"

How do I use this pack? The default icon set is unusable.

Comment

If you previously used the default icon set, you may have to rebuild all Windows icons for the changes to appear. In Windows all used icons are being cached in one file and read from it afterwards. Get TweakUI XP and use Repair section.

BTW. I just got this icons DLL and found that 16-color icons are virtually indistinguishable from each other. If included at all they should be drawn by hand, or substituted with some ready 16-color icons.

Comment

Originally posted by anes View Post
                  Since changing icons for individual file types is not trivial in Vista, I've created (and wanted to share!) an icon pack for using Vista style icons when Irfan View is the default application for them.
                  I don't use IV since a long time, but I was lucky enough to find your file icons. Thank you for the download link. They look so much better than the default icons.
                  Last edited by admsupport; 30.09.2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X