Editable settings "templates" for slideshows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Editable settings "templates" for slideshows

"Templates" or "scripts" -- what you call them doesn't matter.

I'm the sort who changes what's displayed in a full-screen IrfanView slideshow pretty often. I've found it a minor pain to try and recall what the details were specific to the last settings I used, or the ones before that, and on my system the Help for file and IPTC/EXIF tags comes up annoyingly slowly. So to work around this, I suggest something (again similar to Hr. Lemke's GraphicConverter X on the Mac side, or Pierre's XnView on both sides) along the lines of settings files that can be saved from the Settings window of Slideshow and edited in NotePad or some other text/binary editor.

Perhaps to further encourage users to download and install QuickTime to use with the application on the whole, Irfan might consider making these files .plist in format. Where's the connection? On the Mac side at least, and keep in mind my knowledge of these things stops at OS X 10.4.2 Tiger (PPC), a .plist file is written in Apple's somewhat wordy but here-and-there compacted "take" on extended markup language (XML). Shouldn't be that hard to learn.

BZT
    There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

The "[Viewing]" section of the i_view32.ini file keeps track of these details, separate from the Slideshow.lst file that (as its name may imply) lists the last viewed items run in a slideshow. I suppose what I'm actually asking for is a way to export this section of the prefs file so it can be "loaded back in" at the user's prerogative, rather than having to edit that no-doubt sensitive file or go about tweaking the GUI prefs with its checkboxes and pull-down menus, etc.

BZT
    There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

I would also like this feature!

I frequently create slideshows that run on different monitors, so the position and window size needs to be specified every time. I would like to save each group of monitor-specific settings as a "slideshow profile" that I can open when creating a new slideshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Silversleeves View Post
        The "[Viewing]" section of the i_view32.ini file keeps track of these details, separate from the Slideshow.lst file that (as its name may imply) lists the last viewed items run in a slideshow. I suppose what I'm actually asking for is a way to export this section of the prefs file so it can be "loaded back in" at the user's prerogative, rather than having to edit that no-doubt sensitive file or go about tweaking the GUI prefs with its checkboxes and pull-down menus, etc.

BZT
        In fact the slideshow dialog options are in a section called [Slideshow]. I_view32.ini is a text file and it is very easy to save highlighted sections to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and Paste into Notepad or some other text editor. Just save the Notepad file and it is easy to Copy and Paste it back into the ini file when you want it again. Slideshow.lst is a text file too and can be edited just as easily.
        The ini file is also surprisingly resilient. You can just delete any line in the ini file, a whole section or the whole file for that matter. The program including the slideshow will still open and run using default settings and a new Slideshow section will be created next time a Slideshow is started.
        I use Visual Basic Script files to Edit the ini file "on the fly" even when Irfanview is running without problems.

Comment

Working...
        X