Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Character Filename/Path Indication Problem

Hi,

I installed the last version of irfanview & plugins (4.27) few days ago and since then I've been suffering from a few problems which I've never experienced before. 4.10 is the last version before 4.27 I used to use for more than a year maybe? not sure anyway.

Look at the following window capture:

The upper left corner shows filename with backslash character included between the one step upper folder name and its true filename. Actually it should show filename only. And it full path is : "C:\Program Files\C_ON Mob_le S_nc II\MobileSync\01________7_내_메모리\Photo090820_3.jpg"

As a result, can't go to the next nor the previous image by left/right arrow key or by page up/down keys.

Any clue?

Any comment will be appreciated. Thank you.

Al
    Attached Files

Apology.

Anybody, move this post to the proper forum please. Realized that can't find the way to move by the poster.
    I thought this forum is for the latest version of irfanview but "last". This post is talking about the "latest" version 4.27.

Al

Comment

IrfanView doesn't support Unicode filenames and paths natively, it relies on the Unicode plugin, which presumably you have enabled in Properties, Language. Nevertheless, I expect there are limitations to what that can do.

Here, it displays the shortened filename in the title bar, so it looks as if you have not enabled it.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.08.2010, 05:26 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

As soon as I installed ver. 4.27, I found out that irfanview doesn't work with image_file_list.txt which includes Korean characters in many file names. Opened Properties/Settings but Unicode plugin was checked already. But I unchecked it and tried to load file_list.txt only to fail and rechecked it again and tried to succeed in loding file list. What happened? There's no problem in this matter up to now anyway although Thumbnail browser displays broken characters in the quick_go bar on the top below the menu bar. I don'd care anyway.

No problem with image files with Korean characters in file names up to now, but as you saw on the above attached window capture, the very file makes problem in the cases when I tried to change filename and to move to the next/previous file from it.

Regarding your comment "shortened filename in title bar", as I set it to show filename only (not full path) it is so, not because of unicode matter.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        IrfanView doesn't support Unicode filenames and paths natively, it relies on the Unicode plugin, which presumably you have enabled in Properties, Language. Nevertheless, I expect there are limitations to what that can do.

Here, it displays the shortened filename in the title bar, so it looks as if you have not enabled it.

Comment

It does look rather like an odd bug in the Unicode plug in. Was the | character that comes before the final \ (that has been misinterpreted as W), entered as a Korean letter? The | character is not permitted in Western file names.

Does it behave differently if you omit the | or put a Western letter or character between | and \

It appears not to like the long row of underscores either _________ . Why do you use that in your folder name ?
          Last edited by Mij; 21.08.2010, 03:22 PM. Reason: Extra question

Comment

"|" character in the above "내장메모리" is not "pipe" character in keypad. It is graphic character represented as HEX "B3" of ASCII II table for constituting frames of the table. Unpermitted "|"(pipe) character is represented as HEX "7C". "내장메모리" in ascii code is "B3 BB C0 E5 B8 DE B8 F0 B8 AE". This is not something about unicode. Each language version of XP provides the interpretation of double HEX code into each language's graphical appearance such as 5 characters shown on the top left corner of the above attached screen capture. ("B3 BB" for the 1st character, "C0 E5" for the next, etc) As your OS does not support such an interpretation, your browser does not show the very 5 characters but 10 graphic characters in ASCII II table for "B3 BB C0 E5 B8 DE B8 F0 B8 AE". (refer to http://www.hobbyprojects.com/ascii-t...cii-table.html ) As a result "|" in my filename is permitted in XP file system as used to be with the previous versions of irfanview. I jumped to 4.27 from 4.10 and had used irfanview with other older versions without any problem.

"\"(backslash) character is also interpreted into each language country's currency mark. In my case backslash is displayed as Korean currency mark("W" with dashmark on it). In the case of Japanese OS, it will show Japanese Yen mark("Y" with dashmark on it). Yes, these all work for double HEX encoding languages only I think (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc). Maybe will not work with western languages which use characters already equipped in the ASCII table.

I tried to omit the 1st Korean character "B3 BB". Yes it works OK now. But instead by omitting 2nd or 3rd it also works OK. It means it's not something to do with "|" character but something to do with unicode plugin's internal bug in processing a certain mixture of Asian characters.

"___________" is nothing but just to hide my private information, my phone number and mobile phone maker. Its original characters are not underscores. Sorry.

For further information, tried to open the same file with version 4.10 and it's OK. with version 4.27 I even created a folder with the name "내장메모리" in different location and tried to open only to have the same ugly result. No matter whether "|" is included or not, if the folder name doesn't include exact the very 5 Korean characters it works OK with version 4.27.

I'd like to make more screen captures to compare what's happening between version 4.10 & 4.27 later.

Thank you.

Al

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            It does look rather like an odd bug in the Unicode plug in. Was the | character that comes before the final \ (that has been misinterpreted as W), entered as a Korean letter? The | character is not permitted in Western file names.

Does it behave differently if you omit the | or put a Western letter or character between | and \

It appears not to like the long row of underscores either _________ . Why do you use that in your folder name ?

Comment

Mr. Forum Moderator,

Please change the main title of this thread from "Korean Character Filename/Path Indication Problem" to "v4.27 unicode plugin misbehaving(OR bug) with a certain mixture of Asian characters".

I can't modify the title but the contents only.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
              X