Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't Read File Header, Unknown file format

I have a similar problem with a seemingly png file. I recovered some jpegs from a recovered flash disk but I can not open them. irfanview gives the error "cant read file header unknown file format or file not found!"

I tried to open them with notepad++ and a hexeditor. but my lack of knowledge prevents me to do anything useful

I would really appreciate if someone take a look at the file and confirm me that it is hopeless to recover them..

thanks..

http://ahmetdincer.googlepages.com/f327144.png

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

If you recovered some jpegs, how did you end up with a png? Are you saying that all the files will not open that were recovered? Can you tell us why you needed to recover and what program you used to do it?

I've had a lot of luck with PhotoRec, a free file recovery program.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    If you recovered some jpegs, how did you end up with a png? Are you saying that all the files will not open that were recovered? Can you tell us why you needed to recover and what program you used to do it?

I've had a lot of luck with PhotoRec, a free file recovery program.
    I also used photorec. I recovered the files form an image of my iphone's flash memory.. after the process I ended up with some Jpeg's and png's. They approximately had the same size. That's why I assumed that the png's that I couldn't open were actually broken Jpeg's..

the flash memory had been used for I while before I took an image of it and recover the files. so it is possible that some of the files had been overwritten.. still I was hoping that these recovered png's can be fixed.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 3.97
    OS
    Win Vista Business
    CPU Cores

Default Can't Read File Header, Unknown file format

I too am suffering from this affliction. I have backed up 1,200 jpg files to CD for a friend using Nero 8. The only thing I can think of is that his pictures were administered by Picasa and I am wondering if this is the nub of the problem. Have any of you who have experienced this problem also been using Picasa?

Good luck.

Default Can't open JPEG files with any program!

Anyone ever figure this one out? I know this is an old thread and I ran across it by accident. I have hundreds of JPEG files that I cannot open with any program. I'm running Windows XP and in picture viewer I get the message that no preview is available. In Internet Explorer I get a small red X. In paint I get an error message also. A friend of mine recommended this program so I downloaded it. When I try to open my JPEG images it says it cannot read the file header. I have been on this problem for a week now to no avail. This all seemed to happen at once. One day it was fine the next day I went to open some pictures and I noticed all the icons were changed to JPEG. I've been over everyone's suggestions and nothing works. The problem seems to be everywhere and in several forums but nobody seems to have an answer. Since my system is set up for automatic updates, I'm thinking the culprit might lie in one of those updates. Possible? I have a little hair left but not much. Please help.

Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by klubdoc View Post
    Anyone ever figure this one out? I know this is an old thread and I ran across it by accident. I have hundreds of JPEG files that I cannot open with any program. I'm running Windows XP and in picture viewer I get the message that no preview is available. In Internet Explorer I get a small red X. In paint I get an error message also. A friend of mine recommended this program so I downloaded it. When I try to open my JPEG images it says it cannot read the file header. I have been on this problem for a week now to no avail. This all seemed to happen at once. One day it was fine the next day I went to open some pictures and I noticed all the icons were changed to JPEG. I've been over everyone's suggestions and nothing works. The problem seems to be everywhere and in several forums but nobody seems to have an answer. Since my system is set up for automatic updates, I'm thinking the culprit might lie in one of those updates. Possible? I have a little hair left but not much. Please help.
    It is most likely that the files are corrupted, since they do not open with ANY image viewer or under Browsers. Is it possible to get a few of these files again, from the original source? I am not aware of any program that 'corrects' corrupted image files...!

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi klubdoc,

Try to create a drawing using IrfanView or another program and save is as JPEG. Close the program and try to reopen this image. If it is displayed correctly then your other pictures are probably corrupted (no hope to recover them imho).

Quote Originally Posted by klubdoc View Post
    This all seemed to happen at once. One day it was fine the next day I went to open some pictures and I noticed all the icons were changed to JPEG.
    Did something special happen that day? Defrag disk, disk read error message, error message about FAT or NTFS file system... Were those files once day recovered after deletion?

File recovery programs do their best, but no miracles: if you used your computer for a while before recovery, then it is very likely that recovered files are corrupted.

Since my system is set up for automatic updates, I'm thinking the culprit might lie in one of those updates. Possible?
    I dont believe the updates are responsible. Try with a new file as I suggested above.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Thumbs up Got them back with recovery program!

Well, I tried your suggestion, but nothing. I broke down last night and bought a program called "Stellar Photo Recovery". Cost is $38. I let it scan my files and I'll be damned if it didn't extract almost every single picture that I couldn't open. The only problem I can see is that it forces you to place all the pictures in one single file. Now I have 680+ pictures all mixed up in one folder. It even pulled out duplicates including thumbnails of each picture. The plus side is that it lets you scan for free and actually shows you which pictures it was able to recover. You just can't do anything with the pictures until you pay for the program. I never used one of these recovery programs before and there are so many of them that I pretty much had to just pick one. Turned out okay and what a relief. I will be writing the company and giving them a thumbs up. I only wish I knew what caused this whole thing. I will also be backing these pictures up on another device. Thank you for the reply. WHEW.

IV Newbie

Default This worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Hi Erick,
    ... I used a text editor (Notepad++) to erase all bytes preceding the first occurrence of "ÿØÿá" and saved it.
    I've been trying to help a friend recover corrupted images from a digital camera, and This Worked!

It hasn't worked 100%, but certainly enough to provide some satisfaction. I recommend trying this if you're searching around, trying to figure out how to recover corrupt .jpg files, and happened to have stumbled on this post, as I did.

I must ask however, why "ÿØÿá"? And on those files which don't have an instance of "ÿØÿá", is there something else I might try? I'd love to understand this one a bit more.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi Grom,

The hexadecimal equivalent of those characters is "ff d8 ff e0". This is the signature of JPEG files (or magic number"). They are at the beginnig of the file.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Thread Information