Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disable option to Set as Wallpaper

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1

Greetings, it's been over 3 years since this was brought up. Control-Shift-S is increasingly common for Save-As in windows programs and although I am aware of the wallpaper trap, I still inadvertently get caught. Bhikkhu posted a work around but I think it disappeared from my Irfanview folder on the update. I'm back trying to find it again.

Hello,
    I've registered an account only to post here.
    Please add option to disable this feature, or hardcode re-bind it to something like ctrl + alt + f13 + scroll wheel 15 degree turn.

I've set up wallpaper at least 4 times this week and this is Wednesday. I love IrfanView, I use it for last 10 years I think, and I don't want to switch, but this is the only thing that upsets me and made me use xnview as well.

I'm not sure how many people actually use that wallpaper feature, but I can't think of a reason why I'd want a Ctrl + Shift + s NOT being a save-as option, but setting up a wallpaper. It's almost like enter would shutdown PC.

Please, remove/rebind this feature.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.02.2018 at 11:42 AM.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The last time I asked Irfan Skiljan replied that he would do it some time, implying that it was not a top priority. That is now getting on for two years ago.

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Create folder %appdata%\IrfanView\IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp
    Last edited by RottenImp; 02.03.2018 at 01:15 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I get around this by having some other program to grab the Ctrl+Shift+S hotkey before Irfanview does.
    In my case this is the program PicPick that I have running in the background all the time so that the invaluable tools like Pixel ruler, Crosshair, Magnifier, Color Picker and Capture are always instantly available to me. The PicPick Program option "Run program at startup" is set and within it Ctrl+Shift+S is set as the hotkey for the Crosshair. Instead of Irfanview grabbing it and creating another wallpaper, PicPick grabs it and shows the Crosshair. I can dismiss that by just pressing the Right mouse button or ESC if that is easier.

IV Newbie

It would be great, lots of programs use Ctrl+Shift+S as shortcut to Save As...

Default Remove shortcut for set desktop wallpaper

I very often accidentally set the background-image on my desktop by pushing some shortcut in IrfanView, and it's really a pain to remove it every time.

I assume the majority of users don't change their background-image so often that a short-cut is needed for this function?

But who knows....maybe I'm wrong.

But maybe I'm not?

What if > 50% of the use of this shortcut is pushed by accident?

It would really be ridiculous not to kill it.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.04.2018 at 04:39 PM.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

As you can see this Feature Request is more than 10 years old.

Ctrl+Shift+P will set the previous wallpaper when you make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Ctrl+Shift+P will set the previous wallpaper when you make a mistake.
    Ctrl+Shift+P doesn't work when you've already closed IrfanView. Opening IrfanView again and selecting "Previous wallpaper" does nothing.

This is the problem I'm in... go to close things down and then realise the background has been set to one of the images I was editing earlier in the day!! (I suspect it was the Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut that got me!)

So, just adding my 2c ... please remove the Wallpaper shortcuts (do we really need them?). Or make them sufficiently different so as not to make them easy to trip on!

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Ctrl+Shift+P works for me, only problem there is no option to set it to span both of my monitors when setting a wallpaper, so when restored, the previous wallpaper is Centered (or whatever).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.04.2019 at 08:25 AM.

Thread Information