"Save Picture As ..." dialog - disable formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented "Save Picture As ..." dialog - disable formats

First of all - hello to all fellow IV fans and users. This program and this community make the world a better place, and have saved thousands of productivity hours. Thanks for being here!

One of the few things that I find could be optimised is the Save Picture As dialog. In our job we frequently switch between a select few formats: JPG, GIF, PNG and ICO. Picking those among the multitude of formats that IV supports takes a few seconds and severe eye strain

Do you know if there's a way to limit the list and at least take out those we're definitely not going to use (I'm talking to you ECW, EMF, JNG, LDF, PPM, JPM, PCX, TGA...), and even if we do have the need to, would be fine with investing an extra minute to enable some option in the menu? Would Resource Hacker be the only way out?

Last edited by davidcie; 27.09.2010, 03:00 PM.

AFAIK there is no way of removing formats from that list.

Selection can be quite quick and easy though. Having opened the list do not use the arrow keys to move up and down. That is slow. Just move the cursor pointer up and down by moving the mouse over the list (no buttons pressed). The highlighting bar follows the pointer as you do.
    Another way is to type the first letter of the file type you want. That works well for formats like GIF and ICO because a single G or I will take you straight there. JPG and PNG are not so good because it may take multiple presses of J or P to get there.

I should have mentioned that the Extension last used in "Save As.." is stored in the i_view32.ini file in the [Save] section as SaveExtension=jpg (or whatever) and that will appear as the default next time. i_view32.ini is a text file and the entry can be changed using a text editor if that is any help.
    Last edited by Mij; 27.09.2010, 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot about extension being saved. Added corrections and information.

Comment

Mij, thanks for your suggestions. We already do navigate using mouse+first letter, but still this seems unnecessarily slow. Just as you say, jpg and png are the main culprits here, with gif less of a trouble because it's the first extension highlighted after pressing 'g' on the keyboard. It's not just the apparent slowness of finding the right one that I find could be improved; it's also the multitude of never used options that hurts the eyes.

Didn't know about the i_view32.ini section thou'. Hm, perhaps if everything else fails I could come up with an AutoHotkey macro that changes the right line to the extension that I want to use. The only trouble being that I would have to perform my edit before opening IV, right? (Most programs read config files when started.)

If noone else jumps in, I'll see what can be done with Resource Hacker :-)

EDIT: Hm, no luck with Res Hacker unfortunately. While there are bits of the save dialog sprinkled around dialog resources, the dialog itself is a standard windows control, and extensions seem to be populated dynamically instead of being defined in the resources file... If only we had access to source I'd happily add a simple box to define what's shown in the save file dialog (like the one we have in Extensions preference pane listing custom file types)...
      Last edited by davidcie; 27.09.2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidcie View Post
        Didn't know about the i_view32.ini section thou'. Hm, perhaps if everything else fails I could come up with an AutoHotkey macro that changes the right line to the extension that I want to use. The only trouble being that I would have to perform my edit before opening IV, right? (Most programs read config files when started.)
        In this case it reads the config entry each time you call Save As.. There is no problem changing the entry while the program is running. I just tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by davidcie
          ... In our job we frequently switch between a select few formats: ...
          Originally posted by davidcie View Post
          ... If only we had access to source I'd happily add a simple box ...
          I take it you are using IV professionally. If so, you'll have contacted Irfan about licensing
          You could contact him again and offer adding your feature.

Just my 2 cents

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Make this a Feature Request

I recommend that this thread be moved to Feature Requests. Like the OP, I'd like separate format lists for opening and saving; i.e., be able to open any image format but only save in a few. This seems like a straight forward expansion of the Extensions option tab. I'd like to specify, for each extension, whether to (a) associate IrfanView, (b) load when browsing, and/or (c) include in the save as choices.

Comment

Ability to limit Save As... file formats

I've been using IV for what feels like well over a decade and have had this pet peeve since the very beginning of my adventure. While I appreciate the serious number of formats IV is able to open, I only ever save in JPG and PNG interchangably (depending on kind of image, where it gets used, etc). Having to always visually hunt for the right option in the combo box is a little annoying, especially since JPG is only the third option that starts with 'J' and PNG the fifth (!) that starts with 'P' which makes a keyboard workaround cumbersome too.

What I'd love to see is a list similar to what we have for Load custom file types, only named Save custom file types

I know this has been discussed in the past and I keep my fingers crossed every time I reinstall Windows that it does make it. However, I do not see it posted here in the requests forum so I thought I might try to push my luck here!
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.10.2016, 09:19 PM. Reason: Threads merged

Comment

Edit INI file?

In i_view32.ini, there is a SaveFormats value in the [Save] section. I have mine set like this:
                SaveFormats=JPG|PNG|BMP|ICO|

Only those 4 image types show in the Save As list.

I don't recall how I set that up. I just now looked for an option in the Properties dialog without finding a setting. Perhaps it requires a manual edit of the INI file.

Comment

Originally posted by cwb3106 View Post
                  In i_view32.ini, there is a SaveFormats value in the [Save] section. I have mine set like this:
                  It works for me as expected now, but I didn't have this setting in my INI file(s), and it doesn't seem to be mentioned in IV's Help. Perhaps it should be, if it really works without issues.
                  Last edited by Jacal; 30.10.2016, 05:20 PM.
                  IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

It does not work for me.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Works for me, even with IV 4.38

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I am using Windows 10 64-bit with 32-bit IrfanView

The INI file in C:\Program Files (86) just says:

[Others]
                        INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

I edited the file in C:\Users\Bhikkhu Pesala\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView to add

[Save]
                        SaveFormats=JPG|PNG|

That INI file also contains:

[Toolbar]
                        Skin=Grosberg_24.png
                        Size=24

However, that is not the toolbar skin that I am using and changing the toolbar does not change that file.
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.10.2016, 09:12 PM.
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala,

if you look at Properties/Settings > Start/Exit options, does the "Used INI file" at the bottom match with the INI file, you were actually editing?
                          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
                            Bhikkhu Pesala,

if you look at Properties/Settings > Start/Exit options, does the "Used INI file" at the bottom match with the INI file, you were actually editing?
                            That just shows the path to the one in C:\Program Files (86), which points to the one that I was editing. There are no sections for [Toolbar] or [Save] in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by cwb3106 View Post

Only those 4 image types show in the Save As list.
                              It works! You just made not my day but my entire month. Thank you for sharing this. Would love to know how you came across it? This little gem should definitely be described in Help or somewhere. (I had my IV v4.42 x64 ini location set to AppData so the ini file to edit was in my user's AppData\Roaming\IrfanView folder.)

Comment

Working...
                              X