Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding right extension to files without an extension

Hello,

i have a folder (the MessengerCache of MSN Live Messenger) with images containing different image file types (png, jpg and gif) without any extension. To get the right extension i use the windows command line and type "ren * *.gif", so they all are identified as an image. Then i use IrfanView an open every file and if it hasn't the correct extension, the the dialog to correct this pop ups an i click "OK". The last part is laborious and i wonder, if there isn't an other way to do this automaticaly. Does anyone know a solution? The IrfanView Batch conversion/rename Dialog sadly hasn't a right file extension placeholder for the name pattern.

Thanks
    Joachim

PS: I tried to use the forum serach and google, but i assume my keywords were not the bests.

I can offer a small improvement.
    There is a way of getting Irfanview to accept files without extensions. Put them all in a folder and open File > Search files.. Then select your folder and search in it for *.*

That will list all the files of course. Click on Show in thumbnails and they will all appear as thumbnails, bypassing the filter that would normally prevent files without extensions from being shown.

You can then double click on the first one to open it in the Viewer. That dialog will still pop up with the file type that Irfanview identifies and requesting you to accept it but you can just hit Enter and then Space (or forward arrow) to move on to the next file. A bit quicker than opening each one separately.

You could try a file identification program. I have only ever used the online version of TrId but I believe that there is a free batch file version on the main site

Comment

Working...
    X