New WebP format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented New WebP format

Just a note... looks like Google has created a new, supposedly better, format for images called WebP.

Would be great to add this to your supported images... which I am sure you will.

Cheers!

Why? Just because Google published an incomplete standard?
    They have to do a better job than just announcing something.
    An image format w/o alpha support which needs a video library to decode it.
    Sorry but I don't think that people need this in the next two years.

Comment

Make that ten years. Anyone seen JP2 on the web yet? APNG? MPNG?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hhmm, ... I think the WebP format will get substantial importance!
        Just because the internet giant Google make large efforts toward the introduction of this format!

for the new WebP Format (from Google) see:
        "Google code", "The Chromium Blog (in english)", "Wikipedia (in english)", "techreport (in english)", "Gizmodo (in english)", "creativebits (in english)", "Wikipedia (in german)", "heise online (in german)", "OnSoftwareBlog (in german)", ...

Thats why I suggest to support this format as fast as possible!

Comment

The latest version of Opera 11.1 already supports WebP format and makes use of it in Opera Turbo (useful for dial-up connections), so maybe it won't be so long before we see it used more widely. Implenenting support in IrfanView would encourage its use, but it still depends on web masters to make use of the new format — that takes time and costs money.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I guess it will be the same just like with Microsoft's xps format. A format against adobe's pdf.

You can create xps files with an inbuild Microsoft print driver, xps plugin - but who does really need it + use it frequently?

Let's see how webp will be distributed on the internet, on websites; then we can create plugins + support it in IrfanView

Comment

I also don't see any advantage in developing a new "lossy" format - because the main "speed" problem nowadays is certainly not "big" pictures on webpages, it's more the use of java scripts and ads, which makes a website longer to load!

Comment

Main point: Irfanview is an image viewer so that is why it should include the webp format.

Off-topic: Their statistics say
                In a large scale study of 900,000 web images, WebP images were 39.8% smaller than jpeg images of similar quality.
                It's suported by Chrome and Opera so i'm thinking it's gonna hit Firefox till the end of the year. For Internet Explorer we should wait at least 2-3 years before they publish a beta that supports this (for the curious search the net for: "transparent png and internet explorer")

Comment

Originally posted by locnav View Post
                  Main point: Irfanview is an image viewer so that is why it should include the webp format.
                  Just true words.

Comment

I would love to see IrfanView load and save WebP images.

Since Google provides the libraries and example code, I would expect the loading to be pretty straightforward, and the saving to just follow the JPEG quality UI with maybe additional controls for sharpness and target file size.

As a workaround, I use Opera/Chrome to open WebP files. To save as WebP a batch script set in Irfanview as the first external editor:

Originally posted by SaveAsWebP.bat
                    @echo off
                    if "%~1" == "" (
                    echo.
                    echo Converts an image file [JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP, JPEG XR or ICO] into the .WebP format using Google's cwebp encoder [webp.googlecode.com/files/libwebp-0.1.2-windows.zip]
                    echo.
                    echo Usage: %0 \path\imagefilename
                    echo creates a new \path\imagefilename.webp
                    goto :eof
                    )

set TempResultName=%2
                    if "%~2" == "" (
                    set TempResultName=%~dpn1.webp
                    )

echo converting "%~f1" to "%TempResultName%" ...
                    "c:\Program Files\WebP\cwebp.exe" "%~f1" -q 80 -o "%TempResultName%"
                    echo.
                    The script is set up in IrfanView's Options -> Properties/Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Set external editors -> Browse and it's used from File -> Open with external editor (Shift+E if you list it first). It will create a WebP image with a quality index of 80 in the same folder (so it won't work for clipboard images nor files in read-only locations).

The script obviously needs the prerequisite encoder saved in the specified path (feel free to change \Program Files\WebP\) .
                    Last edited by dante2; 29.04.2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

If it takes a vote, I would like to see support for webp format in some form.
                      While full support would be nice, if we can only load it and save as PNG it would serve my purposes.
                      As a plugin, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by zdenekk View Post
                        Just true words.
                        Thank you very much.

maybe a little off-topic: The method used by google to test their format is apparantely a little flawed. So they retested. Guess what: it still works just fine! Maybe i'm being subjective here but, although 25%-34% is less than 39%, it's still at least 25% better than JPEG.

Probably the best argument i can give for the wide support of WebP is file size and how it matters nowadays in an increasingly mobile enviroment. I don't know the prices for other countries but in Romania mobile internet is not that cheap and it has data caps. And if you're not concerned about the financial aspect think about the increase in speed: a crowded 3G cell is not the same as WiFi; and also WiFi is not the same as a good cable connection.

Here's google's conclusion:
                        The study evaluated WebP compression in comparison to JPEG. We observed that the average WebP file size is 25% - 34% smaller compared to JPEG file size at equivalent SSIM index. The SSIM vs bpp plots showed that WebP consistently required less bits per pixel than JPEG for the same SSIM index. These results indicate that WebP can provide significant compression improvements over JPEG.
                        For the full read (2-3 pages) check this out: http://code.google.com/intl/ro/speed...ebp_study.html
                        (It's written in english although the url might suggest otherwise)

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                          Make that ten years. Anyone seen JP2 on the web yet? APNG? MPNG?
                          I think the big difference between jp2 and webp is that the latter is supposed to be free to use, free to batch convert.
                          If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I have forwarded this feature request to Irfan. Let's see what he says about it.

Comment

The reply was just as I expected. He is not too willing to add it until it is widely used.
                              Yes, I can add it, but I assume this format will be the same death-end like JPG-2000 or HDP/WDP
                              Maybe not ... but I never saw a website using it ... I can add it later, when it is really used, more widely.

=> I don't like hypes, I already added many formats just because of useless hypes

Comment

Working...
                              X