Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ruler

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

I don't care about pixels. I'm drawing in centimeters and not in an amout of pixels. Single pixel manipulation is a little bit useless if you can not distinguish them on screen or printout.

Version
    IrfanView 4.37
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by impdf View Post
    BTW: In the meantime I'm using a screen with more than 300 DPI.
    And what brand and model number of monitor are you using? I am only aware of one screen in the regular consumer market that goes that high, and I somehow don't think you are using an iPhone 4. (That is a DPI of 326, but then the screen is only 640x960 pixels.)

As mentioned already, most LCD screens are typically something under 100 DPI (about 90 is what many new HD computer monitors are at).
    I have a very high DPI screen on one of my computers and it is "only" 146.6 pixels per inch, so now I am intrigued as to what else is around.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

It's a 10" tablet, 302 dpi. You can buy it next year. We will get more and more of these screens. But a lot of Windows applications are still not high dpi aware...
    The biggest issues for larger screens is the bandwidth of the graphic cards.

OK, this is no longer about rulers. ;-)

My proposal was to use the measurement tool of the paint plugin. An external ruler has the problem that it does not know the zoom value of the image. And Irfanview does not offer an interface.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by impdf View Post
    My proposal was to use the measurement tool of the paint plugin. An external ruler has the problem that it does not know the zoom value of the image. And Irfanview does not offer an interface.
    Yes, impdf, the Irfanpaint measurement tool is useful but not what I assumed the OP would consider as an onscreen ruler. An external ruler, as you say, only measures screen pixels and dimensions and takes no account of any scaling being applied to the image.

I imagined that the OP was measuring images at 100% zoom. Unless his "friends" are viewing/using the images at the same scale as he is then what he wants to do is quite pointless.

Thread Information