Ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Ruler

I have a large screen monitor...and sometimes I share my files with friends, who perhaps only have a smaller monitor.
    It's difficult to gage how big my image is, on their screen.
    An option to show a ruler, both width, and length...choice of metres, or inches..

Please

Metres or Inches ? For images ? The size of the image is shown in the status line in pixels.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Pixels v inches

I know the size of the image is shown at the bottom of the viewer in pixels...that, however doesn't give help, when it comes to dimensions.

I scan my DVD sleeve at 1350 pixels length, and my CD audio sleeves at 500 pixels (for tags in FLAC files),
      both fit on my screen....with space to spare.
      but the DVD sleeves, need scrolling when I email them to other people. because the dimensions are to large. The settings are OK, for my screen...

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
        I have a large screen monitor...and sometimes I share my files with friends, who perhaps only have a smaller monitor.
        It's difficult to gage how big my image is, on their screen.
        An option to show a ruler, both width, and length...choice of metres, or inches..

Please
        Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        Metres or Inches ? For images ? The size of the image is shown in the status line in pixels.
        Hi rainbow,

You make a mistake in reasoning and Bhikkhu Pesala has right, because the final printing size will be selected finally only by the user in the printer settings. You can print any picture in any size (for instance: 9x13 cm, 10x15 cm, DIN A4, ...)! You can stretch every picture from very small up to very large! A pixel can have the size of an atom or the size of a big star! Size is relative!

You must consider: The only important thing is the image resolution you have!

See also my answer in the thread: "batch DPI changing (e.g. fit all images to A4 or 20x30 cm)" and the article "Dots per inch" on Wikipedia!

Your feature request (a ruler for IrfanView) could be only realized, if you can set fixed values for the printing size and the DPI number for pictures in IrfanView! Up to the realising of these conditions only values are practically, which are measured in pixels!

Try also JPEGCrops and JR Screen Ruler, MB-Ruler, Pixel Ruler, Ruler, Window Ruler, ... !

regards
        Frank

Comment

I keep my scans on my computer, and don't print them out..
          I have over 2,300 DVD sleeves...and about(ish) the same number of movie stills.
          I scan and keep for filing (and database) purpose....
          When I send my scans by email to friends, they're too big..
          I don't want to print them out (like photos), but keep them on my computer...
          I've found that if I check the information of the image in Infranview, not only does it give me the pixels (which I know is on the bottom), but also the printout size...
          It's that 'the printout size', I want to know..not for printing, but it allows me to know by what amount I need to resize it to, so it will fit on my friends computer.

Comment

All you need to know is the resolution of your friend's screen in pixels. Printout size has nothing to do with it. That depends on the DPI set in the image and it affects the size of the image on the page when it is placed in a DTP program.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If you really want a ruler like you request you can download Picpick. It has an excellent ruler feature that you can show in pixels, inches or centimetres (after setting an appropriate Dots per Inch value). It will minimize to the system tray so that you can call up the ruler by right clicking the icon in whatever application you happen to be using.
              Several other handy features too. Worth looking at (and free).

Comment

There is the measurement tool in the paint plugin.

BTW: In the meantime I'm using a screen with more than 300 DPI. Makes no sense for me to think in pixels any longer ;-)

Comment

Hello impdf,

But if you have pictures you must also think in pixels!
                  Because it's already important, if you want to print a reasonable result!
                  In order get reasonable printing results, you must only consider that your picture is able to print with a resolution of at least 300 dpi!

And therefore you must have enough pixels!
                  • For a small printed picture (printing size = 1 inch x 1 inch) you need exact = 300x300 pixels!
                    (Then you can realize 300 DPI!)
                  • For a printed picture in DIN A4 size you need at least ≈ 2483x3511 pixel (8,72 million pixels)!
                    (Verified with JPEGCrops!)

See also the external link: "All About Digital Photos - The Myth of DPI"

regards
                  Frank

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
                    BTW: In the meantime I'm using a screen with more than 300 DPI.
                    I wasn't aware that such screens existed. Most are around 96 dpi. Even so, I don't see why it makes sense to think in anything but pixels when working with images. It is the only real measure of the detail available in the image.

Comment

I don't care about pixels. I'm drawing in centimeters and not in an amout of pixels. Single pixel manipulation is a little bit useless if you can not distinguish them on screen or printout.

Comment

BTW: In the meantime I'm using a screen with more than 300 DPI.
                        And what brand and model number of monitor are you using? I am only aware of one screen in the regular consumer market that goes that high, and I somehow don't think you are using an iPhone 4. (That is a DPI of 326, but then the screen is only 640x960 pixels.)

As mentioned already, most LCD screens are typically something under 100 DPI (about 90 is what many new HD computer monitors are at).
                        I have a very high DPI screen on one of my computers and it is "only" 146.6 pixels per inch, so now I am intrigued as to what else is around.
                        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

It's a 10" tablet, 302 dpi. You can buy it next year. We will get more and more of these screens. But a lot of Windows applications are still not high dpi aware...
                          The biggest issues for larger screens is the bandwidth of the graphic cards.

OK, this is no longer about rulers. ;-)

My proposal was to use the measurement tool of the paint plugin. An external ruler has the problem that it does not know the zoom value of the image. And Irfanview does not offer an interface.

Comment

My proposal was to use the measurement tool of the paint plugin. An external ruler has the problem that it does not know the zoom value of the image. And Irfanview does not offer an interface.
                            Yes, impdf, the Irfanpaint measurement tool is useful but not what I assumed the OP would consider as an onscreen ruler. An external ruler, as you say, only measures screen pixels and dimensions and takes no account of any scaling being applied to the image.

I imagined that the OP was measuring images at 100% zoom. Unless his "friends" are viewing/using the images at the same scale as he is then what he wants to do is quite pointless.

Comment

Working...
                            X