Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I resize and image without it becoming all blurry in Yahoo Messenger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I resize and image without it becoming all blurry in Yahoo Messenger?

Hi everyone. I have been trying for well over an hour now to re size an image with Irfanview so that I can use it as my Yahoo Messenger avatar. Well, I am running into trouble with it. Every single thing I try only results in it being extremely blurry in Yahoo Messenger. Can someone please advise me as to how to fix or prevent this please?

Attaching the original image and some information about the size and format of the resized image would be a great help.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Attaching the original image and some information about the size and format of the resized image would be a great help.
      Okay, here is the infromation:

The original image size is 292 x 400
      Width is 292 pixels and heighth is 400 pixels
      Horizontal Resolution is 96 DPI
      Verical Resolution is 96 DPI
      Bit Depth is 24

Values for resized image is 37 x 50
      Width 37 pixels Heigth 50 pixels
      Horizontal Resolution 500 DPI
      Vertical Resolution 500 DPI
      Bit Depth 24

I changed the DPI on the resized version because I thought it would make it better.

The original image is attached. Let me know if you need anything else.
      Attached Files

Comment

How do you Resize an image Without Comprising Quality?

I think that it'd be a great idea to have an option to re size an image without comprising image quality. I know this feature is available in Photoshop but I didn't find any such feature in Irfanview. I know Photoshop is highly advanced software and that the code for such a feature may be copyrighted, patented, or whatever and if so, that's fine but it'd still be a great feature to have if not.

Comment

IrfanView already has a choice of methods for resampling images, and the RIOT plugin has more if that is not enough. I moved this thread to the support forum in case anyone want to suggest methods for improving image quality. I have heard that better results can be gained by resampling in stages, not in one big step. I cannot notice any difference myself.

What method did you use, and what JPG compression quality did you use to save the image?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Changing the DPI makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the image. It is still exactly the same pixels.

Resampling an image to a smaller size will always lose detail no matter which software is used.

I heard that resampling an image in several small steps is better than using one big step. I resampled your image by half and then by half again. I saved it at highest JPG quality.
            Attached Files

Comment

IrfanView already has a choice of methods for resampling images, and the RIOT plugin has more if that is not enough. I moved this thread to the support forum in case anyone want to suggest methods for improving image quality. I have heard that better results can be gained by resampling in stages, not in one big step. I cannot notice any difference myself.

What method did you use, and what JPG compression quality did you use to save the image?
              I honestly don't remember what method and JPG compression quality I used. Sorry.

Comment

Changing the DPI makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the image. It is still exactly the same pixels.

Resampling an image to a smaller size will always lose detail no matter which software is used.

I heard that resampling an image in several small steps is better than using one big step. I resampled your image by half and then by half again. I saved it at highest JPG quality.
                Oh okay thanks. I tried out your image and it did the exact same thing in Yahoo Messenger.

Comment

37x50 pixels is never going to look very good as an Avatar. Does Yahoo Messenger really ask you to make it that small?

Comment

YM uses 96x96 pixel images

- make all resized images to this value and may crop if larger (ex: 1600x1200 -> 128x96)
                    - save them as PNG (same format used by YM) or BMP instead of JPG avoiding artefacts
                    - resample images at double/triple of 96x96 first to apply a sharpen efect before resize them to 96x96
                    - DPI dosen't affect the image on YM

And always remember that "Resize an image Without Comprising Quality" is impossible
                    Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
                    doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
                    ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
                    ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Working...
                    X