Minimize to System tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Minimize to System tray

Would it be possible to have an option to have the program minimize to the "system tray" instead of the taskbar?
    Thanks, JZ

Why? What would be the advantage?

Comment

There are a number of free minimize to Minimize to tray applications around that claim to offer this feature for any window. Perhaps someone who uses one of them could tell you what works with Irfanview.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        Why? What would be the advantage?
        The advantage is to be able to use IrfanView in screen capture mode but not have it taking up a 'precious' icon space on the windows 7 taskbar (since the icons are now large). I can do this by using another 'minimize to system tray' program - but have to run another program in conjunction with it to do it - and would rather just have IrfanView do it by itself.

I really like the program - it's the only screen capture program (amongst many other things I know) that I've found that will actually capture a DOS cmd (command) window on the screen - and not also black out the whole picture. The other programs will a lot of times either black out the DOS box because they are confused on how to capture it - or the whole screenshot (if you capture in 'full screen mode' instead of just window) is blacked out even if the DOS box is not showing or minimized. Probably something to do with Aero - but at any rate, doesn't fool IrfanView - works perfectly.

Let me know on this - would be a huge plus.

Another feature request if I can be so shameless (and I would love to donate as well): multiple hot key ability for the different screen capture modes - would love to have the ability to capture 'active area' on another hotkey - and also 'rectangular select area' on another. Those 3 would make it perfect. The last thing I would add is ability to change the 'capture sound' to something other than the 'Ding'!

Your program rocks - thank you.

Kevin
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.11.2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

If it is just for screen capture then I would recommend Picpick which already has all the features you ask for.

Comment

Hi,

yes, would be a nice option.

And you can also use the default Windows method for capturing a DOS box:
            ALT + Print key captures the current window
            Print key captures the whole screen

Regards
            Nils

Comment

Sad to see that this idea was raised on the forums a year ago, and still this feature has not been implemented.

It would be beneficiary to have a simple system available for opening IrfanView screen capture mode upon startup, and having the option to quickly snap screenshots without being forced to open IrfanView and proceeding to click 'Options' and continue on to 'Capture/Screenshot..' and finally, 'Start.' Of course I could take a few hours of my time and devote one of my Mod keys to this operation, but this has a few cons..

Firstly, and most importantly, it occupies a key I could otherwise be using for a more complex or important process. Second, I have to move my entire hand to be with-in striking distance of said key, as my fingers can not reach it from their usual positions. This becomes hazardous when I am scrambling to conduct the operation and return my hand to its default position, quickly. Third, it takes that extra second or two to strike the mod key, and for the operation to take place. Which, isn't so bad if I'm just capturing a stationary object, but proves quite crippling when I'm attempting to capture a certain video frame, for example. Fourth, I'm hardly confident in my ability to remember to first hit the mod key that activates Screen Capture mode, when I am rushing to capture the image.
              Adding an icon to the Notification Area would allow my screenshots to debut appearing much less cluttered. It would also provide reassurance that I am, in fact, running in Capture mode, as with IrfanView minimized to the taskbar, I am unable to ascertain whether it was minimized upon my selecting Capture mode, or upon my simply minimizing the window. (My screenies are set to save directly in their designated picture folder, so I am awarded with no reassurance of the intended action's legitimacy. [The 'Beep upon Screenshot save' is also turned off, for my own convenience])

Speed and minimal cpu usage when capturing Screen shots, compared to other programs, are the sole reasons I chose to download IrfanView (I found more reasons after I began exploring the program.) For example, I previously used Office OneNote for my screen clippings. This program has exactly what I am looking for, as far as idle availability (an icon, constantly in the Notification Area, which remains from startup, until closed by the user.) But the actual acts of selecting the clipping, waiting for the interface to open, and then saving each individual object manually, is a hassle. Those problems are reciprocated with most other screen clipping methods, be they Microsoft Clip Organizer, Print Screen, (the method which most simpletons use) or any other -well known- program. [As far as I am aware]

I pledge my monetary support for the program, shall this feature ever be introduced. Admittedly, I am young, and thus cannot contribute much, though I will offer what I can at that time.

*Also, I've tried PicPick, and it has one annoying shortcoming in that it lacks the ability to execute screenshot in very quick succession. IrfanView does not share this fault. Though it does trump Irfan in two areas.. One being file size. PicPick PNG files have an absurdly smaller size. (Example, a portion of this page saved as 3.71MB in an IrfanView PNG screen capture, and only 79.2KB in PicPick PNG. [Obviously not using PNGOUT, but, if I may reference a Whitest Kids u'Know skit.. "I ain't got time for this..") It also takes the liberty of reducing the size of the Start menu icon in Vista, so it no longer protrudes into the window being viewed. I appreciate the recommendation.
              Last edited by RawrIsrael; 29.02.2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwzumwalt View Post
                Would it be possible to have an option to have the program minimize to the "system tray" instead of the taskbar?
                Thanks, JZ
                As mentioned, 3rd party "minimize to tray" apps can do the trick.

I use a little thing called RBTray that adds right click "min to tray" functionality. Best of dozens I've tried over the years.

http://rbtray.sourceforge.net/ is the official repository with most recent v4.3 (which I believe is 64bit, Win7, Vista compat)

also see http://moitah.net/ - homepage of James Purcell who has taken over development from original author Nikolay Redko (see here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbtr.../topic/3700607)

I use older version (v3.3modified) - lower memory usage (got 4gb but I'm oldschool :-), I prefer the features/functions of that version, and I use WinXp which does not need the newer versions. v3.3 modified also has "min to tray", "always on top", and a rudimentary sizing thing through through the system menu (upper left corner of window). The "always on top" doesn't work on all types of windows including Irfanview, but good enough for me (IV has it built in anyway)

There are a few versions floating around, all of which are very different (looks like authors tried very different things in some releases along with bugfixing, and simple things like what exactly a right mouse click does change depending on the version)

I'm attaching the late 2007 v3.3modified I use here because it is difficult to hunt down on the web these days (v3.3 that you can find from mid 2007 is completely different and quite annoying)

Here is a good description of the utility along with a lot of useful info in the comments.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm pulling this thread up cause I'm baffled to see this simple feature hasn't been implemented yet. Yes, there are tools out there to work around this issue but they lack the ultimate benefit connected to this feature. When I'm using Irfanview's capture function by pressing C, I still see Irfanview in my ALT-TAB list. This is already cluttered with all the other programs I need to have open simultaneously and need to switch between frequently. Having Irfanview in the tray would reduce this clutter while still being able to make screenshots pressing the designated hotkeys. RBTray does put Irfanview into the tray but it still shows up in my ALT-TAB list.

Would really be nice if this could be implemented. Thx.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.11.2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tecc View Post
                    I'm pulling this thread up cause I'm baffled to see this simple feature hasn't been implemented yet.
                    There are much better workflows than starting IrfanView just to take a screen capture.
                    • PrintScreen
                    • Alt PrintScreen
                    • Install FastStone Capture. The free version 5.3 (direct download from my own site to avoid the usual hassle with PUPs on free software sites). It does everything that most people need and more, including capture of scrolling web pages).

These are not workarounds, but much better workflows. In many cases, printscreen, paste into IrfanView and crop will accomplish the task.

FastStone Capture (by default) loads on Windows startup, and sits in the System tray, taking very little memory until it is called to take a screen shot. I use the registered version to record video tutorials.

Others have recommended similar utilities, but Windows 10 already has this ability built-in. To be honest, the screen capture built in to IrfanView is a nuisance that I would rather not have. If I want to take a screen shot of the IrfanView window, I have to remember to focus an edit box first.
                    Attached Files
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Don't know if this feature should be added or not but I prefer to have it available universally, for all my programs. I've been using two programs for this, mostly because of their unobtrusiveness, features vs size and because of their stability. First I used DialogMate: http://www.freeware-guide.com/rarewa...SwitchOff.html (apparently there's a new version of it too: http://dm2.sourceforge.net/) Nowadays I'm using PowerMenu: http://www.abstractpath.com/powermenu/
                      My 0.2$ on this issue..

Comment

Working...
                      X