/jpgq seems not to affect the real image quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported /jpgq seems not to affect the real image quality

(Windows 7 Prof Rus 32x, build 7600 / IrfanView 4.27)

It seems like /jpgq command line option doesn't affect the real JPEG image quality.

I use command lines like these (according to help):

iview32.exe D:\Work2\CoversConversion\500\120075.gif /jpgq=75 /convert=D:\Work2\CoversConversion\500\120075_075.j pg

iview32.exe D:\Work2\CoversConversion\500\120075.gif /jpgq=50 /convert=D:\Work2\CoversConversion\500\120075_050.j pg

but they all produce the same result (bit-to-bit -- checked with fc).

I've tested it with several different images -- seems like it doesn't depend on the image file.

With command line I didn't test it!
    Perhaps it is how you say! Then it would be a bug!

But with the IrfanView GUI I can see differences!
    Can you confirm it there?

Please upload some test/sample files!

Comment

Wrong command line!:

Change ”iview32.exe” to ”i_view32.exe”.
      »Und so, in eurer Verzweiflung, kommt ihr zu mir.«

Texteditor EmEditor:
      Deutsche Sprachdatei (v7.01) für EmEditor Pro 7.02 (englisch)
      EmEditor Pro 8.06 (deutsch) | Deutsche Sprachdatei (v8) für EmEditor Pro 8.06 (englisch)
      Deutsche Sprachdatei (v9.16) für EmEditor Pro 9.17 (englisch)

Comment

Foxy, you are right and... you are not right Many Thanks for your idea! I've made some investigations, and here is the situation I've discovered:

Actually IrfanView in my system doesn't start with the i_view32.exe ("There is no such file or program"), but does starts with iview32.exe. (That is why you are not right ). But when I looked at C:\Program Files\IrfanView\, I've found i_view32.exe (That is why you are right )! An there is no iview32.exe on my system at all!

I've been very surprised at this point... But digging the Windows registry I've found that iview32.exe is located somewhere on the local network -- as it turned out, it was 4.23 version previously installed on my system using network location, and this (older!) version is launched when I used my command lines and when I just double-clicked on my files -- instead the new one (4.27) I've installed today.

So, there is no bug I've reported anymore: version 4.23 ignores /jpgq option, but 4.27 doesn't...

However, possibly there is a (not quite serious) bug still there: is it OK that freshly installed 4.27 version doesn't override previous associations, when previous version was installed on the net?..

Comment

Working...
        X