X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
    Auto adust colors: Ctrl + U
    Open in external editor: Shift + E
    There's no way of doing this quicker and you keep as fit as a fiddle (RSI).
    I can read and of course I was aware abt these hotkeys (and all others) but I'm talking abt general improvment. I think you will agree that this feature would be very handy. IV has a lots of hotkeys and I doubt that user remembers all of them (as I do )

2Sam_Zen
    I like your idea abt extra items but as a SW (it means "software") developer I can say that implementation of such of functionality is pretty trivial and shouldn't cause any problems

Comment

Thanks for correcting my mistake Sam. It's Shift+U indeed. Properties » Folders could be a better choice, but as long as there isn't such a tab in IV, we'll have to check it in Properties » Misc2. Or did I misunderstood your purpose?

Comment

2 zolden
        As a software developer yourself you must be familiar with the fact that others call some addition 'easy does it', while you know, that a simple change isn't auto-related to a simple solution, but can mean a lot of work, due to all kinds of consequences.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize your reading. I don't agree with you at the point of being able to set everyting in a user interface to ones own hand. This would be a nice option if every program have had the same toolbar. But even Office hasn't. I find it fun having to change my attitude to each program that I start. It's a kind of character to recognize. All applications have one thing in common though: there own specific shortcuts, usefull when working with a program very frequently.

Comment

I find it fun having to change my attitude to each program that I start.
            Hear, hear
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

...to set everyting in a user interface to ones own hand. This would be a nice option if every program have had the same toolbar. But even Office hasn't...
              I just meant that IV toolbar's functionality should be more flexible.
              Abt Office-like. I mean its flexibility - you can drag-n-drop any menu item to any toolbar and you can customize UI (user interface) in any way you like - this is very good user experience, very usefull and very handy.

Even Windows Explorer's toolbar is more flexible than IV's one.

Whatever...I like IV very much and it's just a request...so you can reject or attack it...

Comment

Happy with IrfanView

Well, this forum isn't established to attack one another, so I wouldn't dare to do so. The only thing I'd like to add in this topic is the following: From version 4 there's a new option. To change the look-and-feel of the toolbar, you have three standard skins to load into IV (Properties » Toolbar). Here you can even switch off and on specific buttons. Believe me, there are not many IV-users who would want mr. Skiljan to adjust his (‘our’) tiny little IV to this kind of insignificant possibilities. And in my opinion you're going to like this way of handling files the longer you use IV.

Comment

The standard view option of IV after installing is 1:1. An Enter gives ‘fit to windows’. What more could a real IV user want?

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef
                    as long as there isn't such a tab in IV, we'll have to check it in Properties » Misc2
                    Sorry, I forgot that I'm using the edited version of IV with the tabs, instead 'Misc'1,2 : Options - Folders - Cut/Paste.

2 zolden
                    I can't really judge if your proposal has any benefits for me, because :
                    1) I never use drag-n-drop
                    2) I don't use Windows Explorer either
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Auto adust colors: Ctrl + U
                      Open in external editor: Shift + E
                      There's no way of doing this quicker and you keep as fit as a fiddle (RSI).
                      Thanks for the Shift+E reminder! - Now, which of my gazillion editors should I enter? Each has its strengths and drawbacks. Oh well, let's see if someday there will be an IV option of OPEN IN EDITOR ... --> submenu

BTW: According to a little test just now, it works only with image files, images pasted into IV cannot be handed to the editor via SHIF+E

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Depending on one's system, but one might have this submenu already via the R-click context on a file "Open with.."
                        I think the editor-choice for Shift+E is not that difficult. If you consider the function of this shortcut.
                        It's not (default) meant to switch to another application, and then continue the work there, leaving IV.
                        Suppose you're in IV, and want to do some short step of modulation, which IV can't realize. So you realize that, save the file and return to IV for the next step.
                        Nice to know that the content of the clipboard is not transferred if switched to the editor.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Well, this forum isn't established to attack one another, so I wouldn't dare to do so. The only thing I'd like to add in this topic is the following: From version 4 there's a new option. To change the look-and-feel of the toolbar, you have three standard skins to load into IV (Properties » Toolbar). Here you can even switch off and on specific buttons. Believe me, there are not many IV-users who would want mr. Skiljan to adjust his (‘our’) tiny little IV to this kind of insignificant possibilities. And in my opinion you're going to like this way of handling files the longer you use IV.
                          Here's one more user who'd like the "insignificant possibility" of adding menu functions of my choice to the toolbar (rather than being limited to the relatively few on/off choices that are available under the v4 toolbar customization) . Indeed, I came to the forum this morning precisely because I wanted to add a button to open the external editor of choice. Yes, I can use shift-E, but I'd prefer the option to add a button.

Comment

I don't think it is for anyone to decide what other users want from IV, but personally I have never used the "Open in External Editor" option, and had to search hard to find it as it is only available from the Thumbnail browser.

That being said, however, consider how many functions there are in IV and how many toolbar buttons would be needed to cover them all, and you're talking about a very significant development. IV could very easily lose its simplicity, and with that it may lose its popularlity.

Already, the interface is cluttered. Steve has done some work to improve the Properties Layout, but there is room for improvement elsewhere too.

If a lot of users want more toolbar buttons, how many more do we need, and which ones? I imagine that instead of the current 19 buttons, we might end up with 50 or more. Note that currently there are no buttons in the Thumbnail view. The right-click menu is too long so maybe a toolbar is need there.

See also this thread: A Word to the Over Eager
                            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Here's my standard IV appearance. This has obligated me to learn the short keys by heart. That is my way to associate with IV...
                              Attached Files

Comment

2 Bhikkhu Pesala
                                Right on.
                                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X