Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Allow Toolbar Customisation

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

Since the original size command is so readily available by way of the keyboard, I don't care about a button for that. However, Guillaume's suggestion for a "fit to window" button makes me think "Yes, there could/should be options to add some view management buttons!"

I would like a few more hot keys, but the keyboard is getting all used up already so I won't ask!
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

IV Newbie
    OS
    Win Vista Home Basic

Default Allow Toolbar Customisation

I think it would be very handy to have a way to customize toolbar. I need to have some menu items as toolbar buttons (i.e. Auto adjust colors and Open in external editor, which I use very often)
    In 2007 Microsoft Office-like toolbar is the standart de-facto for all the SW.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Auto adust colors: Ctrl + U
    Open in external editor: Shift + E
    There's no way of doing this quicker and you keep as fit as a fiddle (RSI).

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

BTW Auto adust colors: Shift+U

I don't know what's SW, but to me something 'Office-like' is a non-argument, maybe even on the contrary.

Of course, a custom toolbar is nice, but has its drawbacks. The toolbar will grow horizontally, and already now, with all buttons enabled, it means with rather small pictures, that on the right of the picture the place is filled with the background color. (with "Fit window to image" enabled)
    But I'm willing to support the adding of 1 or 2 extra items in the list of Properties/Toolbar, to be able to set some often used functions of IV. But this is only possible if there are also buttons for that. How to import them ?

2 Sjef
    Thanks a lot. Never took attention of those two functions, and especially setting the ext. editor is great, because the current file of IV can be opened by my painter as well on the spot, which is a better efficiency for the way I work.
    Found a minor 'bug' while handling this. I did Shift+E while no ext. editor was set yet, and then there is a message to check this in Properties/Misc2, instead of Properties/Folders.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

IV Newbie
    OS
    Win Vista Home Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
    Auto adust colors: Ctrl + U
    Open in external editor: Shift + E
    There's no way of doing this quicker and you keep as fit as a fiddle (RSI).
    I can read and of course I was aware abt these hotkeys (and all others) but I'm talking abt general improvment. I think you will agree that this feature would be very handy. IV has a lots of hotkeys and I doubt that user remembers all of them (as I do )

2Sam_Zen
    I like your idea abt extra items but as a SW (it means "software") developer I can say that implementation of such of functionality is pretty trivial and shouldn't cause any problems

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thanks for correcting my mistake Sam. It's Shift+U indeed. Properties » Folders could be a better choice, but as long as there isn't such a tab in IV, we'll have to check it in Properties » Misc2. Or did I misunderstood your purpose?

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

2 zolden
    As a software developer yourself you must be familiar with the fact that others call some addition 'easy does it', while you know, that a simple change isn't auto-related to a simple solution, but can mean a lot of work, due to all kinds of consequences.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize your reading. I don't agree with you at the point of being able to set everyting in a user interface to ones own hand. This would be a nice option if every program have had the same toolbar. But even Office hasn't. I find it fun having to change my attitude to each program that I start. It's a kind of character to recognize. All applications have one thing in common though: there own specific shortcuts, usefull when working with a program very frequently.

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

I find it fun having to change my attitude to each program that I start.
    Hear, hear
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

IV Newbie
    OS
    Win Vista Home Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
    ...to set everyting in a user interface to ones own hand. This would be a nice option if every program have had the same toolbar. But even Office hasn't...
    I just meant that IV toolbar's functionality should be more flexible.
    Abt Office-like. I mean its flexibility - you can drag-n-drop any menu item to any toolbar and you can customize UI (user interface) in any way you like - this is very good user experience, very usefull and very handy.

Even Windows Explorer's toolbar is more flexible than IV's one.

Whatever...I like IV very much and it's just a request...so you can reject or attack it...

Thread Information