Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Allow Toolbar Customisation

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Wink Happy with IrfanView

Well, this forum isn't established to attack one another, so I wouldn't dare to do so. The only thing I'd like to add in this topic is the following: From version 4 there's a new option. To change the look-and-feel of the toolbar, you have three standard skins to load into IV (Properties » Toolbar). Here you can even switch off and on specific buttons. Believe me, there are not many IV-users who would want mr. Skiljan to adjust his (‘our’) tiny little IV to this kind of insignificant possibilities. And in my opinion you're going to like this way of handling files the longer you use IV.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The standard view option of IV after installing is 1:1. An Enter gives ‘fit to windows’. What more could a real IV user want?

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef
    as long as there isn't such a tab in IV, we'll have to check it in Properties » Misc2
    Sorry, I forgot that I'm using the edited version of IV with the tabs, instead 'Misc'1,2 : Options - Folders - Cut/Paste.

2 zolden
    I can't really judge if your proposal has any benefits for me, because :
    1) I never use drag-n-drop
    2) I don't use Windows Explorer either
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
    Auto adust colors: Ctrl + U
    Open in external editor: Shift + E
    There's no way of doing this quicker and you keep as fit as a fiddle (RSI).
    Thanks for the Shift+E reminder! - Now, which of my gazillion editors should I enter? Each has its strengths and drawbacks. Oh well, let's see if someday there will be an IV option of OPEN IN EDITOR ... --> submenu

BTW: According to a little test just now, it works only with image files, images pasted into IV cannot be handed to the editor via SHIF+E

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

Depending on one's system, but one might have this submenu already via the R-click context on a file "Open with.."
    I think the editor-choice for Shift+E is not that difficult. If you consider the function of this shortcut.
    It's not (default) meant to switch to another application, and then continue the work there, leaving IV.
    Suppose you're in IV, and want to do some short step of modulation, which IV can't realize. So you realize that, save the file and return to IV for the next step.
    Nice to know that the content of the clipboard is not transferred if switched to the editor.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

IV Newbie
    OS
    Win Vista Home Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
    Well, this forum isn't established to attack one another, so I wouldn't dare to do so. The only thing I'd like to add in this topic is the following: From version 4 there's a new option. To change the look-and-feel of the toolbar, you have three standard skins to load into IV (Properties » Toolbar). Here you can even switch off and on specific buttons. Believe me, there are not many IV-users who would want mr. Skiljan to adjust his (‘our’) tiny little IV to this kind of insignificant possibilities. And in my opinion you're going to like this way of handling files the longer you use IV.
    Here's one more user who'd like the "insignificant possibility" of adding menu functions of my choice to the toolbar (rather than being limited to the relatively few on/off choices that are available under the v4 toolbar customization) . Indeed, I came to the forum this morning precisely because I wanted to add a button to open the external editor of choice. Yes, I can use shift-E, but I'd prefer the option to add a button.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I don't think it is for anyone to decide what other users want from IV, but personally I have never used the "Open in External Editor" option, and had to search hard to find it as it is only available from the Thumbnail browser.

That being said, however, consider how many functions there are in IV and how many toolbar buttons would be needed to cover them all, and you're talking about a very significant development. IV could very easily lose its simplicity, and with that it may lose its popularlity.

Already, the interface is cluttered. Steve has done some work to improve the Properties Layout, but there is room for improvement elsewhere too.

If a lot of users want more toolbar buttons, how many more do we need, and which ones? I imagine that instead of the current 19 buttons, we might end up with 50 or more. Note that currently there are no buttons in the Thumbnail view. The right-click menu is too long so maybe a toolbar is need there.

See also this thread: A Word to the Over Eager

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Here's my standard IV appearance. This has obligated me to learn the short keys by heart. That is my way to associate with IV...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	appearance.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	176  

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

2 Bhikkhu Pesala
    Right on.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Version
    IrfanView 4.37
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    personally I have never used the "Open in External Editor" option, and had to search hard to find it as it is only available from the Thumbnail browser.[/url]
    Not so. The "Open with external editor" command is also in the main IV window, under the File command, which also shows the "Shift+E" shortcut.

So, with the current opened image, you can press "Shift+E" and have the image opened in your defined external editor.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Thread Information