This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop selection optional button in toolbar

Can a 'Crop selection' (Ctrl+Y) button be made an option on the toolbar, please? When trimming images to the required shape I waste a lot of time having to open the Edit menu.

Thanks!

Comment

You don't need to open any menu. Just press Ctrl Y.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Mod Edit: I moved these posts from Allow Toolbar Customisation, which dates back to 2007, and is now closed. The request was forwarded to Irfan Skiljan in June 2016.

---

I'd like to see more menu buttons/menus. Example, Very often I like to edit an image and while I can click on the edit menu item and select a function, if I advance to a new image I must again click on the edit menu item and reselect. The same for the save function, I almost never use the Save As and would like to have a Save button that saves my file with the original name and location without any prompts.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.05.2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgt1942 View Post
          I almost never use the Save As and would like to have a Save button that saves my file with the original name and location without any prompts.
          Shortcut Ctrl S will do what you want. See the File Handling Options in Settings to disable the overwrite warnings and the save options dialogue.

What commands from the Edit menu do you need quick access to?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Alternative Save for the Toolbar

Hi, I for one never use the default 'Save as' icon. This seems to save in the Desktop by default and I always want it to be in the same folder as where the file came from.

So could the author allow us to select from the two Save options which appears in the Toolbar? That is Save (original folder) or the 'Save as' icon?

Thanks.
            Stuart Halliday

Comment

Along with Customising Shortcuts, this is quite a frequent request, but for the reasons I stated earlier, I don't think it is easy to do. Irfan Skiljan has known about these issues for many years, but so far has not done anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Along with Customising Shortcuts, this is quite a frequent request, but for the reasons I stated earlier, I don't think it is easy to do. Irfan Skiljan has known about these issues for many years, but so far has not done anything about it.
                Changing or adding an extra icon is trivial stuff. Maybe he just thinks it's not worth his attention or he's moved on and forgotten? Happens.
                Stuart Halliday

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                  You don't need to open any menu. Just press Ctrl Y.

notwithstanding the ctrl+Y option, mouse too is much used. And considering CROP is such a frequently used feature, toolbar button for CROP is much needed

Comment

Originally posted by quatermass View Post
                    Changing or adding an extra icon is trivial stuff. Maybe he just thinks it's not worth his attention or he's moved on and forgotten? Happens.
                    Irfan Skiljan has clearly not moved on to other things, nor forgotten about it. As I said earlier, it would require a fundamental change to the GUI. The toolbars use PNG images to support different skins. They can be different sizes, but they must all have the same limited number of buttons.

If the buttons were changed to perform different functions that would annoy the hell out of existing users, and would break all of the skins. Changing the toolbar to, say, 24 buttons or 30 buttons, would not be impractical, but who wants to spend time creating skins all over again?

The only proper solution is to allow the toolbars to be customisable. Clearly, every user has his/her own vital most used feature that they want to see on the toolbars. It's impossible to satisfy everyone, unless you make the GUI fully customisable. This is not a trivial task.

It took me about five years to persuade the Serif developers that 16 pixel icons designed for 1024 x 768 monitors were too small. Eventually, we got medium and large icons, but it took a lot of work to create all those extra icons at three different sizes. No fundamental change to the GUI was required, just different icon sets and HiDPI support.

Irfan Skiljan has never been very interest in Interface design. His focus is on program functionality.

Maybe one day he will bite the bullet and do this, but I am not holding my breath. Anyone is welcome to email him to request this feature, and let us know what he says. I will then update the thread status.

BTW: The save button will always save to the same folder that you last used, in the image format that you last used. There's a Recent Folders drop list at the bottom of the save dialogue. I always save in My Pictures, and then move files using Windows File Explorer if I decide to keep them. Usually, I just upload them somewhere, then delete them.

Comment

I forwarded this feature request to Irfan Skiljan to remind him about it. This is his response:

I will later make larger toolbars => but I need tons of new icons from skin authors.

Toolbars: thanks, I will try something. Such things are already on my todo list ... which is very large

Comment

Additional buttons for the button bar

I'd love to see these additional button options that would be much quicker to have on the button bar than having to click through the menu:
                        1. 'Copy to' dialog
                        2. 'Move to' dialog
                        3. 'Edit' (or 'Paint dialog') button
                        4. 'Save As...' button

Thanks for your consideration!

Comment

You guys are forgetting that more and more people are working with touchscreen computers and tablets. Keyboard combos and mouse controls are pretty much unhelpful when you are using that formfactor.

I agree that more buttons and touchscreen-friendly controls are desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            You guys are forgetting that more and more people are working with touchscreen computers and tablets. Keyboard combos and mouse controls are pretty much unhelpful when you are using that formfactor.

I agree that more buttons and touchscreen-friendly controls are desirable.
                            Even desktops are coming with touch screens these days, and the future is VR and hand tracking.

The keyboard as a secondary interface is feeling a little more legacy every day.

If IV is gonna try and be a last stand bastion against that, then it's gonna have a rough future. :/ Luckily, I don't think that's happening

Comment

Edit in External Program Buttons

Hi,

Would it be possible to have a button in the toolbar for each external editor? It would be so handy to click a button to launch the current image in Photoshop, Paint, etc. without having to right click, move the mouse, and then select the filepath of the program you want. If the icons could be different colors too so you can distinguish between the different editors, that would also be awesome! (Assuming you can't set an image for a Photoshop or Paint program icon.)

Thank you!

Comment

Movable icons & Button for Crop selection

I would like to see a toolbar button option for 'Crop selection'
                                Now I understand that since the toolbar button layout is fixed currently that might be not so easy, unless you have the button at the far end. which I expect is a reason to reject it, but in case the toolbar system is changed to move the icons (the other request) in settings in the future I'd already made the request for that specific function at least.

And since I mention toolbar buttons, there are obviously quite a few other standard functions that could use an optional toolbar button, like 'color correction' or 'filters', but for now my post is keeping it simple and only mentions one.

Edit:
                                Excuse me for posting an already covered subject. I could have known that there was already a related subject but my original request was on one precise button and while formatting it I realized the request needed movable icons to be accepted. But anyway my post was moved correctly to the correct thread.
                                Last edited by Dabble; 22.10.2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X