V4.28: UTF-8 in IPTC not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded V4.28: UTF-8 in IPTC not working

If IPTC information are saved in UTF-8 IrfanView does not display special characters correctly. E.g. "Łąka" is displayed as "Łąka".

Hi cubism,

If you give us a bug report, then please tell us also which version of IrfanView do you use!
    Do you have enabled the unicode plugin in \Options\Properties/Settings...\Language\?

Please consider: It's only a basic unicode support!
    See: IrfanView homepageHistory of changesOlder versions - History

regards
    Frank
    Attached Files

Comment

I use the latest version 4.28 and also the latest version of the IPTC plugin.
      I have not enabled this checkbox, because it says something about filenames and not IPTC information. I have now tried it and noticed that the IPTC information is still wrong, but that the characters have changed.

I have attached some files:
      • utf8.jpg is an image with which you can reproduce the bug. It contains the IPTC caption ""Łąka".
      • with_plugin.png is a screenshot of the IPTC window with activated unicode plugin.
      • without_plugin.png is a screenshot of the IPTC window with deactivated unicode plugin.
      Attached Files

Comment

I can't reproduce your results because I can't see any IPTC informations in your sample file!
        (I've tried it with activated german, english and polish language and enabled/disabled unicode plugin!)

Please consider: Unicode support in IrfanView is only a basic unicode support!
        That's why it's not really a bug!
        It's rather a well known restriction of the program!

If you're not happy with this fact then please use only ANSI characters for the input of IPTC informations!
        (But because I've found a very similar thread ("V4.27: problem with IPTC text UTF8 encoded") I'll send informations about these two reports to the program author!)

Comment

That's strange. This file contains complete EXIF information and IPTC caption (Łąka), IPTC keywords (Nature,Test) and IPTC byline (Cubism). I can view this information in IrfanView and many other applications.
          I know that it is only a basic support. I do not expect IrfanView to write unicode information and I do not expect it to display some really exotic characters like Japanese. I think the correct display of some special characters which are based on the Latin alphabet is the most basic functionality someone can expect from unicode support.

But it seems that the correct display of IPTC information is not the only problem. As it can be seen in your screenshot of the language selection, the text in this windows are also displayed wrong if Polish is selected.

Comment

Give us a screenshot of "image information"!

Sorry ... now I can see the informations!
            I was a little bit confused.
            First I've saved only the preview of your picture and now the original ...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Frank; 02.01.2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

(But because I've found a very similar thread ("V4.27: problem with IPTC text UTF8 encoded") I'll send informations about these two reports to the program author!)
              I have found this thread also, but I do not know what the author means with "statusbar". My statusbar does not display any IPTC information. The author says it was working in 4.25. I tried it with 4.25 and my problem is not solved. But I tried it with the 4.28 IPTC plugin, because I do not have the old one - so perhaps this is the reason.

Give us a screenshot of "image information"!
              Here it is.
              Attached Files

Comment

... I tried it with the 4.28 IPTC plugin, because I do not have the old one ...
                see:
                http://www.irfanview.com/
                http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
                Scroll down and select Other download sites (Mirrors)!
                And then scroll down again and choose the wanted version!

for program files see:

(Click to view full size!)

for plugins see:

(Click to view full size!)

To get program files and plugins for V4.25 copy the wanted link and change the version number!

Originally posted by Cubism View Post
                ... But it seems that the correct display of IPTC information is not the only problem.
                As it can be seen in your screenshot of the language selection, the text in this windows are also displayed wrong if Polish is selected.
                see also:
                - "Incomplete Support of Unicode in Thumbnail Window?"

Comment

OK, thanks for the instructions.
                  I have tested IrfanView 4.25 with 4.25 plugins and the problem does not change. So I do not know what was working for pere from the other thread.

Comment

Hello,

IrfanView is clearly the best, but even after years this problem seems unresolved written here above by Cubism.
                    (and also some others earlier:
                    Thread: Ansi2Unicode - polish letter "ó/Ó" - problem.
                    Thread: V4.27: problem with IPTC text UTF8 encoded)

I use the latest version IrfanView (4.38) with the latest version plugins (full 4.38), but my status bar still looks the same. A screenshot is attached. Hungarian language characters with accents are problematic here.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	nonsense characters in statusbar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	81195

Where should I find a solution?
                    Thanks in advance
                    Best regards
                    Laci

Comment

Working...
                    X