Any way to view MOV files without installing QuickTime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to view MOV files without installing QuickTime

I find Apple software to be rather buggy and bloated, and choose not to install it.

But I have a Panasonic camera which makes .MOV files (which I assume are quicktime format).

Any way to display these files (preferable in Irfanview!) without installing Apple's Quicktime software?

Interestingly, Irfanview "displays" these files as a blank, but you can hear the sound of the mov file playing. So it can definitely read the audio tracks at least. But what about the video tracks?

Thanks!

Any way to view MOV files without installing QuickTime?
    With IrfanView there isn't an other way!
    See the list of supported file formats and the plugins page!

That means, Apple Quicktime and the Quicktime plugin is required to play/read Apple Quicktime files with IrfanView!
    But instead of the program IrfanView you can also use other programs like VLC media player, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema or something else!

see also:
    - "Problem opening .mov file"
    - "need help viewing mov file in IrfanView"

Comment

Or you can google for "quicktime alternative" or "qt lite" to get the same functionality without the bloat... works for me.

Comment

Those are both great replies. Thank you Frank and orbik.

Anyone have any idea why IrfanView is able to play the audio (but not the video) for mov files (without qucktime installed)?

I got a good laugh when I read the Wikipedia articles about "qt lite" and "quicktime alternative". I think it is hilarious that a "lite" program for a codec is over 16.9MB or 18.3MB. That is seriously nuts. And I read on other sites that Apple's Quicktime is over 36 to over 57MB in size (depending on the article)... Apple has to be joking. It's a freaking codec/video player. My old cellular telephone with 4MB of TOTAL APPLICATION ROM has a fully functioning video player. And that includes its OS and all of its other applications too! It's like Apple seriously tries to make their crap bloated. You have to work real hard (or I suppose real poorly) to make an app that bloated. Ok, rant over.

I am going to pass on those options (Quicktime, quicktime alternative, qt lite). But still, in all seriousness, I sincerely appreciate the suggestion. The suggestion is good, just the Apple software is so bloated (and in my experience, buggy as well).

I just downloaded VLC and gave it a try, and it looks real good, but it has way too many bugs right now. I installed it on a stable system for about 10 minutes, and it crashed repeatedly. Looks great, but the current version needs some work. I have heard great things about it before, but I just think the current version needs some TLC.

So that leaves Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. I did a little research, and there is actually a player called "Media Player Classic Home Cinema", another called "Media Player Classic", and another called "Home Cinema". Were you referring to two different programs with that suggestion, or the single program. Rather confusing, I know.

I am also considering perhaps looking into a converter to convert the mov files to another format. But I have no idea if it is possible without considerable loss of video quality. Any ideas?

I love my Panasonic camera (although it is having some hardware issues lately), but their use of quicktime as the video format makes me think that my next camera may not be a Panasonic.

Thanks again for the tips. Please don't interpret my comments as a reflection of the quality of the tips, as the tips themselves are excellent and very appreciated.
        Last edited by Penny; 04.01.2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Avidemux might suit your needs, as the stream inside the .mov is likely standard MPEG. This isn't really the right forum for this discussion, but always glad for appreciation.

Comment

If you install QT Lite you will be able to play .mov files in Irfanview. At least it works for me. I'm using QT Lite 3.11 from http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/filepilot/...T_Lite_311.exe
            together with Irfanview 4.27 in XP.

Comment

I still use an old version of Zoom player (v5.0.1) to play my .mov files from my Panasonic. A great little free media player before the $ signs started floating before the eyes of the developers. You can still download the old versions from FileHippo though.

Comment

Working...
              X