Cannot read file header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot read file header

My son was married in Cyprus in July. I had just bought the new Canon EOS 550D camera and a 16Gb Transcend Class 6 memory card. When taking my pictures I was able to view them after I took each one. Later in the week when I tried to go through them on the camera I was getting a message that the the image could not be viewed. I copied the images to my computer when I got home and when I tried to view the images I got the message 'cannot read file header' -

I have lost around 600 images but what bothers me is that the images before and after the damaged ones are OK. The file sizes are around the same as the others which are OK too.

I have since taken all of the images (OK and damaged) off the card and formatted the card and the same thing is happening again.

What I wondered is - is this a card problem or a camera problem and is there anyone who can help me. I can send copies of both OK and damaged taken during the same week if that would help. Also can anyone give me a step by step guide to viewing and changing the file header?
    I did see posts about the same problem from 2007 and tried a few of the resolutions to no avail. Many thanks for reading my problem and I do hope someone can help me.

Try to use a Image Recovery Tool!

Hi cathyd,

Originally posted by cathyd View Post
    ... I have lost around 600 images ...
    That is unfortunately annoying!

Please don't overwrite the memory card of the Canon EOS 550D camera with new photos!!!
    First try Digital Image Recovery!

(See "Digital Image Recovery (Datenrettungstool)" in Foto Erhardt Forum!)

Maybe some picture you can restore! But other pictures will be lost forever! If then the image rescue possibly was successful, then you can also think about a firmware update for the camera! Sometimes a firmware update is meaningful! But be very careful there! Please read exact the instructions before you begin! Thereby you can make a lot of mistakes!

Search with Google and the keywords "EOS Rebel T2i / 550D Firmware" and you'll find the official website for the current "EOS Rebel T2i / 550D Firmware Update Version 1.0.9"!

regards
    Frank

Comment

Hi Frank
      Thanks for your reply. We did try an image recovery and it only recovered the images which were OK. I have now taken the images from the card and formatted the card thinking that it may be the card that was the problem. On taking new images I find that some of them are also giving the 'cannot find file header' message.

Someone indicated that because the images before and after the damaged ones were OK that I could amend the file headers of the broken images with headers from a good image? I just don't know how to do that.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Hi cathyd,

That is unfortunately annoying!

Please don't overwrite the memory card of the Canon EOS 550D camera with new photos!!!
      First try Digital Image Recovery!

(See "Digital Image Recovery (Datenrettungstool)" in Foto Erhardt Forum!)

Maybe some picture you can restore! But other pictures will be lost forever! If then the image rescue possibly was successful, then you can also think about a firmware update for the camera! Sometimes a firmware update is meaningful! But be very careful there! Please read exact the instructions before you begin! Thereby you can make a lot of mistakes!

Search with Google and the keywords "EOS Rebel T2i / 550D Firmware" and you'll find the official website for the current "EOS Rebel T2i / 550D Firmware Update Version 1.0.9"!

regards
      Frank

Comment

Working...
      X