Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXIF "Comments".

When I open the EXIF page (via the Image menu, then Information),
    at the bottom right of the page is a box titled Comment*.
    Curious, I clicked Comment* and a window opened titled Edit jpg comment.
    I typed a short comment, then clicked "Write".
    1 - Where does my comment appear?
    2 - What does the asterisk refer to?

This is the best I can do in answer to your questions. I do not use the feature myself. Perhaps someone who does might be able to add something more.

1. Your comment is embedded into the Jpeg file. It is saved there in plain text format. Indeed if you open your Jpeg file in a text editor such as Notepad you can read the comment straight after the file header.
    The Jpeg comment is not actually part of the Exif data although there are a few programs that present it as if it were. In Irfanview the ability to view and edit the Jpeg comment comes from the IPTC plugin not the Exif one.

2. As with the EXIF and IPTC buttons the asterisk appears on the Comment button when some data is stored there. So I suspect that you are mistaken in what you say and that the asterisk appeared after you had written your comment not before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      This is the best I can do in answer to your questions. I do not use the feature myself. Perhaps someone who does might be able to add something more.

1. Your comment is embedded into the Jpeg file. It is saved there in plain text format. Indeed if you open your Jpeg file in a text editor such as Notepad you can read the comment straight after the file header.
      "Open As" does not give me a text editor option, but it's not important.

2. As with the EXIF and IPTC buttons the asterisk appears on the Comment button when some data is stored there. So I suspect that you are mistaken in what you say and that the asterisk appeared after you had written your comment not before.
      Yes, the asterisk is not there on other images.
      Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
      X