Unicode Plug in Issue

Can someone help me please?
    I have the latest version of Irfanview.
    When I copy an image name ie: thispick

Open Irfanview
    Go to File - Open, then paste the file name, I get an error message saying

File name : Can't read header!
    Unknown file format or file not found!
    (for unicode file names please activate the Unicode plugIn in 'Properties-. Languages')

I have to then hit the period key then the file shows up showing the file plus the extension, I click on it and the pic opens.

I checked the Plugin and it is checked to load when Irfanview starts up.

What am I missing

This problem can appear if Irfanview encounters a file name containing non-ASCII characters and the Unicode plugin is not activated but it is not the only thing that can cause this error message.

Is the file actually called thispick or is that just some sort of example? Please tell us the full path name as well as the file name and extension. Also where do you "paste" the filename? When you go to File - Open you get a standard Windows open dialog where you browse to a folder and click on an image. The name of that file then appears in the File name box at the bottom of the window. Is that what you mean by pasteing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      This problem can appear if Irfanview encounters a file name containing non-ASCII characters and the Unicode plugin is not activated but it is not the only thing that can cause this error message.

Is the file actually called thispick or is that just some sort of example? Please tell us the full path name as well as the file name and extension. Also where do you "paste" the filename? When you go to File - Open you get a standard Windows open dialog where you browse to a folder and click on an image. The name of that file then appears in the File name box at the bottom of the window. Is that what you mean by pasteing?
      thispick was just an example.

If I see a pic on the web I want, I right click on it and select Save Image, when I go to the folder I want the pic to go in and if the pic is already in there I get the duplication warning as it should be.

When I go to Irfanview, click on open, drill down to the folder, and paste the name in the open bar, unless I actually click on the name in the dropdown which shows the extension (thispick.jpg) I get that error message (see pic)

Your used link was wrong to display an attached picture!
      I've removed the used link of the picture and uploaded the picture to the forum!
      (To display a picture you must use the IMG code instead of the HTML code or better upload the picture to the forum!)

Or simply insert the direct link (please only of small pictures) between !

best regards
      moderator Frank
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Frank; 20.01.2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

OK. I suppose you have a reason why you want to paste it in like that without an extension.
        First thing to try is to go to Options > Properties/Settings >File Handling in the main viewer and uncheck Ask to rename if incorrect extension in the Save/rename section.

Comment

Hi, I just installed Irfranview today and when I tried to open an imagine I get the same error as OP here. (noob here!) Did I install it wrong? or was I supposed to activate a plug in that's already in the program?
          Last edited by konecki59; 06.03.2011, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Probably nothing wrong with the installation. More likely to be that you have settings that do not allow any images to be loaded.
            Click Options on the menu, then Properties/settings.
            The attachment shows a common mistake on the Extensions tab. It is set to Load only associated types... but no file types are chosen to be associated with Irfanview. You can select Load custom file types instead if you do not want to associate file types.
            Attached Files

Comment

I am experiencing a similar situation. I am trying to open TN and ARC files and have just downloaded the latest version of IrfanView. However, when I try to open the files, I get the following message:

IrfanView
              C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\Phone Pix\my_pix\cache\01108820725223.tn : Can't read file header !
              Unknown file format or file not found !
              (for unicode file names please activate the Unicode PlugIn in 'Properties-> Languages')

The extension of the file will either be .tn or .arc, but I get the same message. I checked the Load Unicode Plugin at program start (for filenames with non-latin characters) under Options-> Properties/Setting; however, the files still do not open. I even selected the Load custom file types. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Comment

Working...
              X