Centering image & remembering position in 100% zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Centering image & remembering position in 100% zoom

I love IrfanView and have been using it for years. I have one request for a very useful feature which should be easy to implement.

Problem-
    When viewing high resolution pictures downloaded from my DSLR camera, I need to see the details at 100% zoom before I decide to keep or delete it. When opening the picture and viewing at 100% zoom in IrfanView, the top-left corner is displayed by default. But most often the subject is at center of the picture and to see it one has to scroll (with right mouse button) quite a lot in the 18 mexapixel picture. This has to be repeated for every picture in a series of hundreds of pics. Tiring and frustrating!

Solution-
    1. Have an option to center the image on opening at 100% zoom.

2. Additionally, have an option to "Remember position & zoom" for subsequent pics while still zoomed in. Many DSLR cameras have this as default viewing method for confirming focus. Viewing on the small screen while fully zoomed in, the cameras keep the position of next pic unchanged thereby helping judge the focus on a tiny area. If implemented in IrfanView, this will immensely help photographers in confirming focus on a small subject in the large hi-res pictures.

So please consider this request.

Regards

Rajendra Pradhan

Hello Rajendra Pradhan,

1.)
    "Focus on center (if image larger than screen)" could be an acceptable new additional option in the "Fullscreen options..."!

But please consider also:
    Until now you can use some other interesting fullscreen options in combination! Like:
    • "Show images/movies with the original size"
    • "Set display multipier (%)"
    • "Use right mouse button for scrolling (if image larger than screen)"

See the screenshot in the attachment!
    It's not the same - but nearly!

2.)
    "Remember zoom position"

I think, such an idea is not really interesting for all the people. Try to switch between window mode ("Fit only big images to desktop") and full screen ("Show images/movies with the original size")! So you have a quick overview!

Better would be the realization of the idea "100% zoom on an area centered by mouse click"!

regards
    Frank
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rajpradhan View Post
      When viewing high resolution pictures downloaded from my DSLR camera, I need to see the details at 100% zoom before I decide to keep or delete it. When opening the picture and viewing at 100% zoom in IrfanView, the top-left corner is displayed by default. But most often the subject is at center of the picture and to see it one has to scroll (with right mouse button) quite a lot in the 18 mexapixel picture. This has to be repeated for every picture in a series of hundreds of pics. Tiring and frustrating!
      Press 5 on the number key pad (if you have one) to centre a zoomed image or Uncheck Jump to next image if page keys or mouse wheel used in Options> Properties >Browsing/Editing and then use Home, End, PageUp and Page Down keys to scroll quickly around large images.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        Press 5 on the number key pad ...
        @Mij
        You're right!
        See program menu of IrfanView: \Help\ → "Keyboard Shortcuts"!
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Frank for the suggestions. I am already using them.

Thanks Mij.
          I know the shortcuts but the idea is to emulate a DSLR display at least as an option and reduce keystrokes. DSLR makers have opted for this type of display for a reason. When we shoot in high speed burst mode, we can easily and quickly verify which of the images has best focus and delete the rest. Many of IrfanView users are photographers and this option (remember zoom & position in full size view) will be very useful to them. [Use spacebar to cycle thru' the pics and hit delete if not satisfied with a pic.] Those who don't need this option will simply un-check it.

Worth a consideration in my opinion.

Comment

OK. I did not intend to argue against your request, just to point out those shortcuts should you be unaware of them.

You are certainly not the first to make this request. In fact many believe that it should be the default behavior when "Center image in Window" is selected in the Display options. When a small image (smaller than the window) is opened using that option the picture is centered and it then remains centred as you zoom it to become bigger than the window. It does seem rather perverse that a big image is always opened anchored to the top left corner even with that option selected.

Comment

I second rajpradhan's suggestions. Very helpful, I think. - As I press CTRL+H quite frequently, I find that the top left corner of images is never what I want to see in that situation. - The second part of the suggestions, comparing images for focus or other detail, makes sense to me too - I'd be using that.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I am not sure I really understand the second request.

If you have the Display options (window mode) set to either of the 100% modes (Fit window to image or Do not fit anything) then you can set any position or zoom factor, tick the Lock Zoom and Keep scroll position options and maintain that zoom and position as you browse through your images. There are some issues as you browse files of different dimensions, but if all the images are the same size then it works OK.

If you have the Display options set to one of the Fit to window... or Fit to desktop... modes and then change the zoom or position, you would have to override the Display option as you browse in order to maintain that zoom and position for each image opened. Is that what you you are asking for - or are you requesting that the Ctrl+H command be changed so that it goes to a saved zoom and position setting instead of 100%, top left ?

Comment

Thanks Mij, that was very helpful. - First, I only want the CTRl+H changed insofar, that it centres the image, unless another option is in place, that overrides it.

Second, I have always thought "keep scroll position" was faulty, but now I realize, that it can only work properly when used with specific other settings in the View/Display options. I have usually set "Only fit large images to desktop" which of course contradicts the "keep scroll position".

Thus, in my eyes, the second request is already implemented.
                  Last edited by jazzman; 05.02.2011, 08:40 PM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thanks for the inputs Mij. Yes the second request is already implemented. It will make it even better to have a single option somewhere to this effect. It suits nature photographers who often shoot a high speed burst of a small bird and then want to keep the best image in the sequence.

Comment

Working...
                    X