Problem using some Adobe 8BF filters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem using some Adobe 8BF filters.

I had Irfanview and the Topaz Vivacity Adobe 8BF filters set up and working fine on my old laptop that was running XP, and I recently bought a new one that's running Windows 7.

I installed Irfanview, the plug-ins package, and Topaz on the new laptop, but not everything is working how it should be. Some of the filters work fine, but some don't. For those that don't, it's as if the options window runs but doesn't display on my screen. Irfanview continus to run, but everything is locked as though an options window were open, just like using the working filters. Except I can't see the options window.

It's not a freeze, as I can press esc and exit the program and the task manager says Irfanview is running.

Any ideas?

Some filters require the Adobe plugin.dll and/or msvcrt10.dll. If that is the problem (seems likely) you can get the files here. Unzip into windows System folder (System32 in XP-Vista-7).
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Nope, that doesn't seem to have changed a thing. Some Topaz filters still work fine, but some still don't display the options window, although Irfanview acts like it's displayed.

Comment

Sounds like the window might be off-screen. I would check it out with a window modifier like Hwind -- thank goodness it's still available, it's the best I know of right off. Shows all windows, including a mind-boggling number of invisible ones. Set it to show window names (View > Window text) and see if there is a Topaz-related window with screen coordinates way off somewhere. Change the numbers, and -- voilá! The window appears.

Messing with windows seldom causes any problems; the effects are temporary, except in the case of positions that are recorded in an INI file. That would be good, in this case.
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hmm. I can see the Irfanview and 8BF filters window on the list, and when I open one of the working filters, that window appears as well. But when I try one of the faulty ones, I can't find anything. It doesn't appear where the others do, and there are no Topaz windows open according to the search function. So it looks like the window is just failing to open for some reason.

Comment

Dang drat.
            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Have you tried with other 8bf-compatible hosts? Does it work there? - If not, it's best to contact the Topaz people.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. Tried them in PhotoImpact X3, and got the same results. I guess it's a problem on the Topaz end.

Comment

Ha! *slaps self for not thinking of that*
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X