V4.28: custom crop 'save value and exit' doesn't work correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded V4.28: custom crop 'save value and exit' doesn't work correctly

In 'Create custom crop selection', only when using cm or inches, if you 'Save value and exit' or 'Save and apply to image', the crop rectangle changes size and keeps changing size if you repeat the same. Also I can't see any difference of behaviour among the 2 'save' buttons.

Thanks.

Best regards.

Mario
    Win7 64bit

I have to agree, I am sorry to say. The changes made in version 4.28 have left Custom crop selection in a mess.
    See also the other thread that is related.

I cannot understand the logic of the save buttons either. IMHO all that is needed is a simple Save settings button and an Apply (or OK) button. If you want to exit just click the red X icon.

Comment

Originally posted by qerno View Post
      ... if you 'Save value and exit' or 'Save and apply to image', the crop rectangle changes size and keeps changing size if you repeat the same. Also I can't see any difference of behaviour among the 2 'save' buttons.
      I think, that caused by two things!
      Translation errors and indeed some misunderstandings and incompletenesses!
      1. Differences between the german and english translation! (See attached screenshots!)
        - in german: "Auf Bild anwenden" → "Apply to image" (now: "Save and apply to image")
        - in german: "Aktuelle Werte speichern" → "Save current values" (now: "Save values and exit")
        I think, in this case the german translation is more perfect than the english version!
      2. If you are using cm or inches, then the dpi value gets a very strong importance! If you have a picture with 4368x2912 pixel (for instance from Canon EOS 5D) then the maximum DPI value is 728 on a 10x15cm paper size. For a picture with 3776x2520 pixel (for instance from Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7, in 3:2 mode) 629 dpi is the maximum for a 10x15cm paper size! But if you have a picture with only 1500x1000 pixel, then the maximaum dpi value for a 10x15cm paper size is 250 dpi! (I have proved these facts with the program JPEGCrops. You can also calculate it with some other suitable tools!) And if you use such small pictures and enter unrealistically large dpi values, then also the other values adjust themselves! That is perhaps even mathematically logically, however difficult on the other hand to understand! This looks like an error! It is however no error! The feedback is only missing: "Selected dpi value is too high!" (Or something similar!)

see also:
      - the thread "need help with picture clarity"
      - my answer in the thread "batch DPI changing (e.g. fit all images to A4 or 20x30 cm)"
      - the thread "Ruler"

I forward this thread to the program author Irfan Skiljan!
      Let us see, how he reacts in the next versions!

regards
      Frank
      Attached Files

Comment

I assume that the actions are the same in the german version even though the translation is different.

The "Save value and Exit" button does indeed exit the dialog after saving the values that are currently displayed.
        That means that now if you want to save some settings but apply some different ones then you have to open the dialog a second time to do so. You might think that when you now change the values and press "Save and apply to image" you will lose the values that you saved earlier, but not so, because the real meaning is "Save in some cases and apply to image" and this is one of the cases when it does not save the values displayed.
        What Irfan appears to have implemented is a kind of "smart" save, but so confusing in both english and german IMO.

I assumed that Qerno's problem with the settings changing unexpectedly was caused by this confusion over what the buttons do, Frank.
        I need to revisit what I did in the other thread where I noticed values that I thought I had saved having changed when I next opened the dialog. Perhaps I was confused too by the labels on the buttons.

Comment

Working...
        X