Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Unintentional Slideshow

Hi all

Recently I've had a strange problem with Irfanview. I've been using the program to scan documents to build a huge archive of images. I use the included scan software included with my Canon 4400F (Scangear). Usually the programs work well together, but recently this anomaly has cropped up. While scanning, I'll get a Windows alert out of nowhere (just an alert sound, no dialog box). Then Irfanview will start a slideshow from the large folder where I'm keeping my images. I have to cancel the scan and close Irfanview to stop it. I'm not accidentally hitting any keys. I'm not even touching the keyboard when the alert sounds. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any suggestions appreciated.

Are you scanning from within Irfanview (i.e. Irfanview is already open before the slideshow starts) or are you initiating the scan from the scanner buttons?

Comment

Hi

I scan directly from Irfanview, using the Acquire command from the File menu. I never touch any of the scanner buttons. Irfanview is kept open all the time. Hope this helps.

Thanks

John Alden

Comment

Sorry, I cannot really help. As you probably know the key press to start a slideshow like that is Ctrl+W but if you are not sending that code by pressing keys I can only guess that the scanner driver must be doing it.
        How, though, I have no idea though.

Comment

Hi

Actually, I get a different response if I intentionally press Ctrl-W. I get the slideshow in the full-screen mode. I assume this is the way the slideshow is supposed to look. When the problem occurs, the slideshow appears in the normal Irfanview window, which on my monitor is less than a quarter of the screen. I'm still open for suggestions, unless I'm the only user this is happening to.

Thanks

John Alden

Comment

That is what happens when you press Shift+A. In that mode pressing those keys again will stop the show. So, out of interest, does pressing Shift+A in your unwanted slideshow also stop it?

Comment

Hi

Sorry it took me so long to post back. I was waiting for the problem to occur so I could try out the Shift-A procedure, but the program decided to behave itself today. I did notice one thing odd. Remember when I was able to bring up that full screen slideshow with Ctrl-W? Now that produces nothing. Regular W (without any modifier keys) brings up the slideshow setup window (like it should). I'll post back when I get to try out the Shift-A.

Thanks

John Alden

Comment

Are you perhaps scanning a file without having previously opened one? You clearly cannot display a slideshow of images from a folder unless you have loaded a folder to show.

Comment

Hi

That's the weird thing. I have no use for the slideshow feature and have never intentionally used it. I never selected the folders its reading from, yet it seems to draw from one of the two folders I normally save to. Once it started one from one folder while I had been saving to another. One day this week it didn't even sound the windows alert, just started the slideshow on its own. One thing I have been doing lately that I wasn't before. I used to close IV after each scan. Now I just leave it open and keep scanning. I'll be using the program today and will be watching for it. Still want to try the Shift-A and see what happens.

Thanks

John Alden

Comment

I am not sure that we are going to solve this one but to be quite clear about what you see and do, could you just confirm what I am assuming below so that we can at least eliminate some possibilities. Perhaps before you start the scan you could go to Options menu > Properties/Settings > Viewing tab and check "Show full path in title bar" which might give some extra information.
                    I assume;
                    1. You open Irfanview but do not open a file, so the Title bar just reads Irfanview and the little box in the toolbar (that sometimes displays the image number as, for example, 14/38) is blank at this time.
                    2. You start the scan from the Acquire entry on the File menu (not by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A).
                    3. The setup dialog opens and you select Single image. Which other check boxes are checked in this dialog? You press OK.
                    4. The Scangear dialog is shown and you select your options there and then select Scan. Is it at this point that the unwanted slideshow sometimes starts or after the scan has finished?
                    5. What is shown in the Title bar and in that image number box on the toolbar
                    (a) on the occasions when the scan completes successfully ?
                    (b) when the slideshow decides to start up ?

Comment

Hi

Answers as marked in uppercase:

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      I am not sure that we are going to solve this one but to be quite clear about what you see and do, could you just confirm what I am assuming below so that we can at least eliminate some possibilities. Perhaps before you start the scan you could go to Options menu > Properties/Settings > Viewing tab and check "Show full path in title bar" which might give some extra information.-DONE (THIS WAS NOT SELECTED BEFORE)
                      I assume;
                      1. You open Irfanview but do not open a file, so the Title bar just reads Irfanview and the little box in the toolbar (that sometimes displays the image number as, for example, 14/38) is blank at this time. - CORRECT
                      2. You start the scan from the Acquire entry on the File menu (not by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A).-NEVER USE THE MENU PULLDOWN, ALWAYS Ctrl+Shift+A. SHOULD I CHANGE THIS LONGTIME HABIT?
                      3. The setup dialog opens and you select Single image.-YES Which other check boxes are checked in this dialog? CLOSE TWAIN DIALOG & REMEMBER LAST SCAN COUNTER. SKIP EXISTING FILES IS CHECKED, BUT GREYED. DESTINATION DIRECTORY IS JUST C:\ (NO SPECIFIC FOLDER-ALSO GREYED) You press OK.-YES (OR HIT ENTER)
                      4. The Scangear dialog is shown and you select your options there and then select Scan. Is it at this point that the unwanted slideshow sometimes starts or after the scan has finished? USUALLY DURING THE SCANNING PROCESS. ITS STILL RUNNING WHEN SCAN COMPLETES. NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SCAN AS THE SLIDESHOW IS USING THE VIEWER.
                      5. What is shown in the Title bar and in that image number box on the toolbar
                      (a) on the occasions when the scan completes successfully ?-SCANIMAGE001. IT USUALLY INCREMENTS FROM THERE AS I LEAVE THE PROGRAM OPEN AND KEEP SCANNING.
                      (b) when the slideshow decides to start up ?-HAVE TO WATCH FOR THAT ONE-NEVER NOTICED. PROBLEM HAS'NT OCCURRED SO FAR TODAY.
                      Thanks

John Alden

Comment

Thanks John
                        Nothing I can see that is wrong with what you are doing. Since you do use Ctrl+Shift+A to start the scan and Shift+A is what starts the slideshow that you see, I wondered if the order in which you take your fingers off the keys (especially Ctrl) could have any effect. Having said that I have not been able to start a slideshow that way myself and, indeed, unless I first load a file I cannot get a slideshow to start up using Shift+A at all. So still a mystery.

Comment

Hi

Sorry it took so long to respond, but the program has actually been behaving itself for a few days. Today it started again so I made some observations:

1. Title bar changes as the slideshow progresses, listing the full path of each file as it displays.

2. The white box next to the Properties icon in the toolbar, now counts down the images in the format current/total.

3. Shift-A stops the process, so normal slideshow controls do apply here. Of course quitting the program stops it too and it doesn't restart the slideshow when I reopen.

Not sure if this answers any questions or makes them worse, but any input appreciated. For now, I'm just living with it.

Thanks

John Alden

Comment

Working...
                          X