View Poll Results: Is Total Commander also part of your basic environment ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

14 77.78%
  • no

4 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Total Commander

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

Total Commander has a special U3 edition. But you can place your regular TC on a USB stick as well. You just need to pass two command line parameters telling where the configuration is stored. I don't get it why a file manager had to be launched on startup. And what is the startup in this context: the moment when OS recognizes the inserted medium?

Code:
    totalcmd.exe /i=".\wincmd.ini" /f=".\wcx_ftp.ini"
    Besides TC, I have also placed the following other software on the memory stick: WinRar 2, WinRar 3, TaskInfo v2, CPU-Z, Everest, IrfanView, and hacked sfc_os.dll
    Last edited by j7n; 11.07.2007 at 10:54 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The code in the reply of j7n is used by LaunchTC.exe, a little tool to start the USB version of Total Commander. http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/LAUNCHTC.html
    It must be placed in the root. Your autorun.inf file (in the root of your USB stick) must have the following operators:

[Autorun]
    Open=launchtc.exe

And this must be the content of your ini-file (also in the root):

[LaunchTC]
    CmdLine=.\TotalCmd\TotalCmd.EXE /l=%COMMANDER_DRIVE% /i=.\WINCMD.INI /f=.\wcx_ftp.ini
    RunAs=0
    UserName=Administrator

Now TC starts when inserting the USB stick. I suspect it only boots at sticks of 1 MB and above. Why starting TC at 'boot'? Well, just for the fun of it! To avoid misunderstandings: this reply is not about U3.
    Greetings.
    Last edited by Sjef; 11.07.2007 at 01:35 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

No, not the pocket edition. It's the tc2usb tool (TC2USB.exe 25kb) at http://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm. See also the reply of j7n (and my reply to him). You start this little setup program from your harddisk. Your own TC will be copied for the greater part to your USB stick, inclusive plugins, wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini. Not your button bars alas. U3 sticks is a different story, that comes in Dutch.
    Last edited by Sjef; 11.07.2007 at 05:12 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

Thanks you both. I think I get the picture now. And I guess I have to buy a modern stick first, to add to my ole 64 MB one..

I'm glad my button bars are not copied to the stick, because they are strictly locally orientated with all my main apps on it.
    So quite irrelevant. But as I understand, it's possible to make an appropriate button bar on the stick-TC as well.

Not for fun, but I seriously would want the stick to boot with TC, because that's the first thing I need, before handling other peoples PC, for troubleshooting, copying or installing things.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Thread Information