Total Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Commander

Since there is quite some integration between the two programs, I asked this, in a reversed way,
    "Is Irfan View part of your default TC-environment ?" on the TC forum as a poll recently.
    Vote-statistics there so far : 22 yes 19 no.
    This seems quite substantial, so I wondered : What's the situation at the IV-side ?
    yes
    77.78%
    no
    22.22%
    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 07.06.2007, 02:48 AM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

I can't afford to buy a lot of software. I'm lucky I still have a roof over my computer lol. For me, Irfanview is essential, and I shelled out for it after years of free use. But I can live without Total Commander for now (I do admire it - from afar).
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I can't afford to buy any software either. But I've been using TC for years as shareware, but being completely functional.
      Although it says '30days'. The author has published his philosophy about this. and he even answered my mails properly,
      although I wasn't a subscripted user, before I found the forum about it.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hmmm...........
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Let me add that I'm a registered user in the meantime.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Total Commander is terrific software. It really has many unique functions and is highly customizable. It's a gem in the age when shareware authors tend to cash in on open source back end software (A/V encoders). Total Commander is the only software product I have purchased. :P

Comment

Nicely spoken.
              Now the score on the TC forum about IV : 28 yes 19 no
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I'm rather fond of Free Commander. It is very me-friendly
                ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Years ago on my DOS-pc I've purchased GEOS Ensemble. On my first Windows-pc I did buy Windows Commander 1.2. That's all the money I've ever spent on software. Now TC701 runs on my PC and on my U3-memorystick (TC boots at startup) to avoid the Explorer snake-ware. Specially to approach systems of other users. And IV is also present on my U3 of course.

Comment

The memorystick.. I wondered about that, indeed especially for the approach you mentioned. Is this the TC pocket edition ?
                    Maybe you could tell me in short via a PM in dutch what's the procedure ? Like the boot at startup ?
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Total Commander has a special U3 edition. But you can place your regular TC on a USB stick as well. You just need to pass two command line parameters telling where the configuration is stored. I don't get it why a file manager had to be launched on startup. And what is the startup in this context: the moment when OS recognizes the inserted medium?

Code:
                      totalcmd.exe /i=".\wincmd.ini" /f=".\wcx_ftp.ini"
                      Besides TC, I have also placed the following other software on the memory stick: WinRar 2, WinRar 3, TaskInfo v2, CPU-Z, Everest, IrfanView, and hacked sfc_os.dll
                      Last edited by j7n; 11.07.2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

The code in the reply of j7n is used by LaunchTC.exe, a little tool to start the USB version of Total Commander. http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/LAUNCHTC.html
                        It must be placed in the root. Your autorun.inf file (in the root of your USB stick) must have the following operators:

[Autorun]
                        Open=launchtc.exe

And this must be the content of your ini-file (also in the root):

[LaunchTC]
                        CmdLine=.\TotalCmd\TotalCmd.EXE /l=%COMMANDER_DRIVE% /i=.\WINCMD.INI /f=.\wcx_ftp.ini
                        RunAs=0
                        UserName=Administrator

Now TC starts when inserting the USB stick. I suspect it only boots at sticks of 1 MB and above. Why starting TC at 'boot'? Well, just for the fun of it! To avoid misunderstandings: this reply is not about U3.
                        Greetings.
                        Last edited by Sjef; 11.07.2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

No, not the pocket edition. It's the tc2usb tool (TC2USB.exe 25kb) at http://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm. See also the reply of j7n (and my reply to him). You start this little setup program from your harddisk. Your own TC will be copied for the greater part to your USB stick, inclusive plugins, wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini. Not your button bars alas. U3 sticks is a different story, that comes in Dutch.
                          Last edited by Sjef; 11.07.2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks you both. I think I get the picture now. And I guess I have to buy a modern stick first, to add to my ole 64 MB one..

I'm glad my button bars are not copied to the stick, because they are strictly locally orientated with all my main apps on it.
                            So quite irrelevant. But as I understand, it's possible to make an appropriate button bar on the stick-TC as well.

Not for fun, but I seriously would want the stick to boot with TC, because that's the first thing I need, before handling other peoples PC, for troubleshooting, copying or installing things.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                            X