Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to take a screen shot

Hi,

I have just upgraded my laptop to windows 7 and whilst upgrading, i decided to install any new versions of software i like to use. So i installed the latest version of irfanview 2.8.

On previous versions of irfanview, i have used the capture function hundreds of times. So i know that i am using the program properly.

Now what it does, is if i use the capture function and select desktop area. When i use the default hot key (ctrl+f11). I just get a black screen with my cursor. If i move my cursor and repeat the capture, the cursor moves to the new location.

It doesn't matter what colour my main window is in irfanview, the capture is always black. If i choose custom capture, the screen that i want to capture goes black.

If i use the default windows print screen using the keyboard, it works. But i like how neat the irfanview capture works, so i would still like to get it working again.

Cheers in advance for any help,
    Last edited by Shocker; 23.03.2011, 05:02 PM.

Hi,

the latest version of IrfanView is 4.28, i guess you meant that.
    What OS do you use (Win XP / Vista / 7) and which architecture do you use (x86 or x64)?

Maybe you could give us some more details.
    Do you use one or more monitors?
    Which vendor is you video adapter?

Which capture option have you testesd?

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Hi Nils,

Windows 7 32bit (x86).
      Irfanview 4.28.
      HP Laptop with NVIDIA Geforce 7150M / nForce 630M graphics card.
      I've tested the capture function with all of the capture areas that apply to only a single monitor. I am only using a single monitor.

I still have the issue and i still am unsure why its happening.

Rob

Comment

I haven't got a Win7 system to test. - So I can only suggest/ask:
        - Have you tried changing the Hotkeys to some other combination?
        - What are you trying to capture? A video? A computer game? Or just a software dialog window?

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I'm only trying to capture windows. So this might be excel, or firefox, or error messages, etc etc.

Comment

Does anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?

Comment

Use a proper screen capture program that has the full range of capture options. The last freeware version is 5.3, but that will do all that you might need, including capturing scrolling web pages. IrfanView is too limited even when it works correctly, and it takes two shortcuts (C + Ctrl F11) where one would do (Printscreen).

Since you're using Win7, I think you will find that it has built-in capture tools anyway.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Shocker, try this one. http://www.screencapturer.com/

It's free and I've used it for years. You'll have to enter your e-mail address and then it will send you a registration key that can be used over again in case you ever uninstall the program or do a System Recovery.

So keep it on hand to avoid going through the process all over again just as you would with any program that uses a registration key.

Comment

Working...
                X