Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Native SVG support

Hi.

I personally found IrfanView to be the best program in term of lightweight among other graphic viewers.

As for now, the thing I really miss, is native support for SVG. I'm not really interesting in having the cad plugin bugging me with payment request each time I open a svg file.

Thanks.
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

I don't see the point of supporting any vector formats in a bitmap viewer.
    Just open them in your browser — Opera or Firefox will do.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I don't see the point of supporting any vector formats in a bitmap viewer.
      Why?

Just open them in your browser — Opera or Firefox will do.
      HI. This works. But I can't browse several files at once, so use web browsers is no-go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintdriver View Post
        Why?
        Because IrfanView converts vectors to bitmaps, you cannot edit them, and all the advantages of vector images are lost.
        HI. This works. But I can't browse several files at once, so use web browsers is no-go.
        Use Opera browser. Type "opera:drives" into the URL field, browse to your SVG picture folder, open the first, then use FastForward (or spacebar) to browse the folder viewing all supported images. (Also useful for APNG).
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Because IrfanView converts vectors to bitmaps, you cannot edit them, and all the advantages of vector images are lost.
          Isn't that the point of IV, or have I missed something here? The main objective is to being able to browse pictures, not to do advanced edit (like Gimp)?
          If I got you right, I agree to one thing: Do edits on svg files is meaningless unless when using apropriate software (such as Inkscape, in my case).

Use Opera browser. Type "opera:drives" into the URL field, browse to your SVG picture folder, open the first, then use FastForward (or spacebar) to browse the folder viewing all supported images. (Also useful for APNG).
          That's no-go. I get list of file names so I cannot browse through several files at once.

Comment

That's no-go. I get list of file names so I cannot browse through several files at once.
            Open the first file, then you can browse through all images in the folder using spacebar or fastforward. It works fine.

Comment

Temporary solution

Open the first file, then you can browse through all images in the folder using spacebar or fastforward. It works fine.
              Hi. That works, but I cannot get it to work when open files in (or drag them into desktop shortcut) Opera. But I can use Opera OR Firefox to view single svg files. But still, that's just a temporary solution as the web browsers isn't suitable for browsing many local files in various subfolders.

Still, thanks for the tip

Comment

It appears to me to be a more reasonable request than many, Bhikkhu.
                It is not a proprietary format. It is Open Source and, as you say it is supported by many Browsers - even Internet Explorer finally in version 9. You might equally well ask what is the point of a Browser displaying a vector format graphic. It is just so that it can be viewed there.
                I would have thought that someone in the open source community might have been interested in writing a plugin for Irfanview and if they did that Irfan would be happy to include it.

It might be a better bet though to post on the support forum of Inkscape or some other program that uses the SVG format and see whether anyone there is interested in developing a plugin for Irfanview.

Comment

Working...
                X