Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch convert without touching the extension

Hello,

I would like to set the DPI for some hundreds of (png) images.

All the images are spread within lot of folders and have the name like:
    aso

No extension is appended.

Seems if i batch convert them i get the file names change to 1.png, 2.png aso.

That's possible to batch convert without changing the file extension ?

I tried as well by mass renaming after convert but i can't rename to no extension...

Any solution ?

I rather doubt that you do have files without extensions or that you really want to have them. Without a file extension neither you nor Windows knows what type of file it is nor what program to open it with. What I suspect is that the extension name is hidden.

In Windows Explorer navigate to one of the folders that have such files in it. Click on Tools > Folder options > View tab and uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types". If you still do not see extensions to the file names then please post again.

Comment

Sorry, but i really need the file without extension.

The images would be in use for something else than Windows usage... I have 10+ years of IT, i know what i ask...

Comment

OK. Although it is an unusual request it ought to be possible to do what you want by using Batch Conversion and Rename, and using the name pattern $N$O for renaming. In fact the Results dialog says that it has created the files as you want with no extension to the name when there was none in the original. However when you look for the file without the extension in the output directory it is not there.

Could it be that Windows refuses to save a file without an extension? I know that you can strip the extension from an already saved file by renaming but have never before tried saving directly without an extension. How were the files without extensions created originally?

Comment

Hi,

I think that might be possible using a command script.
          For all files do
          get the file name
          rename this file into filename.png
          transform filename.png with IrfanView
          rename back filename.png to filename

Regards, Nils.

Comment

cbichis, you can try this. It's called Rename Master

Developer's site: http://www.joejoesoft.com/cms/showpage.php?cid=108

CNET link: http://download.cnet.com/Rename-Mast...2_4-52866.html

It's free and a good program. I usually only use it when I have a large amount of pics that I want to change the filenames for. I didn't have the cycling issue with Irfanview jumping from 1 to 10 after using it to rename the files.

Of course some here might know that until yesterday I didn't know that the jumping issue is solved by changing the setting in the Options Menu > Sort directory files > XP Style; thanks to Mij.

Comment

Seems converting with IrfanView does add the .png extension so i am going to use a tool for rename back after IrfanView conversion.

Comment

i grew up on plain/pure MSDOS

to rename a bunch of png files and delete their extensions
                just forget IVU
                and 'run' WINDOWS XP cmd line and:

cd <your folder>
                ren *.png *

--
                if the *.png are scattered into many subdirectories/folders

i would use
                sed (stream editor)
                the UNIX utility (available for MSDOS and WINDOWS)

or even a simple notepad
                to remove the .png
                and emit a cmd batch file.

anyhow
                this my reply is 2 years late.

Comment

Working...
                X