Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip from a JPG bigger than Original

Hello,

in IrfanView, I often make Clips from JPGs with Cut and Paste into a new (empty) Picture. When I save the Clip as JPG with 100% quality, the resulting file is bigger than of the Original JPG but not smaller as I would expect.
    For example, from my zeugnis.jpg (scan with 210077 bytes), the clip with borders cut off requires 491032 bytes with same Color depth and dpi.
    Which PEBKAC is it? What should I do to save the clip with same quality as original and less size?
    Any help is very appreciated.

Kind regards, Ludwig

Change the compression/quality slider. JPG file size on disk is highly dependent on how much compression is used. If the original was saved at highest quality, then it will get smaller if you crop it, but if the original was saved at less than 100% quality, the cropped image may well be bigger if saved at 100% quality.

I find that 75% quality is more than adequate for web images — I will use 50% for photos for the web. However, for dialogue boxes or images with text, I always use PNG — they are smaller and much sharper than JPG.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hello,

so I should reduce the JPEG quality for the clip.
      Is it possible to find out the quality of the original image with IrfanView?

Kind regards, Ludwig

Comment

Hi Ludwig,

unfortunatelly it is not possible - neither with IrfanView nor any other program - which compression setting was used. This information is not stored in the JPEG.

Best regards,
        Nils.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
          unfortunately it is not possible - neither with IrfanView nor any other program - which compression setting was used. This information is not stored in the JPEG.
          That's what I used to believe, but its not actually correct. See this earlier thread.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X