Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening .tif Files Win7

Hello,

I am using windows 7 and i need to use Irfanview to open tif files from within another program.

I am using a program that opens tif files using what ever the default viewer (Windows Photo Viewer) it works fine until i try to use irfanview. BUT when i change the default viewer for tifs to Irfanview nothing happens - the file is not opened by Irfan or anything for that matter... I have also changed the default file to open tifs in windows to Irfanview. I have set the file associations to .tif in settings and when I click on a tif file in a folder it opens just fine... it just wont work when trying to open them from within that program..

any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Dwayne

Hi,

which program is it?
    Do you use Windows x86 or x64?

Best regards, Nils.

Comment

I think that you can only set associations from within Irfanview in Windows 7 if you have an installed version in the Program files folder. Otherwise you need to select Default Programs from the Start menu, click on Associate a file type with a program, select TIF and browse for your i_view32.exe program file.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
        Hi,

which program is it?
        Do you use Windows x86 or x64?

Best regards, Nils.
        i'm using 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          I think that you can only set associations from within Irfanview in Windows 7 if you have an installed version in the Program files folder. Otherwise you need to select Default Programs from the Start menu, click on Associate a file type with a program, select TIF and browse for your i_view32.exe program file.
          Thank You for your response... I have done as you suggested and it still will not work ... I really want to be able to use IVue from this program!

Comment

is there a setting in irfanview or plugin that will help?

Comment

I am now using Windows 7 32-bit myself. I have no trouble associating additional file types with Irfanview using Default programs from the start menu. See the attached images of doing it for a Tif file type and then checking that Tif is shown as being associated when I open the Extensions dialog in Irfanview Properties/Settings.
              Is this how it looks to you when you try?

I did associate several file types with Irfanview during installation (but deliberately at that time not Tif) and they work fine, just like they do in XP and Vista. I also associated another file type directly from the Extensions dialog in Irfaniew (which is installed in C:\Program files) and again that worked with no problems.
              So I am finding it hard to understand why you cannot get it to work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdyod View Post
                Hello,

I am using windows 7 and i need to use Irfanview to open tif files from within another program.

I am using a program that opens tif files using what ever the default viewer (Windows Photo Viewer) it works fine until i try to use irfanview. BUT when i change the default viewer for tifs to Irfanview nothing happens - the file is not opened by Irfan or anything for that matter... I have also changed the default file to open tifs in windows to Irfanview. I have set the file associations to .tif in settings and when I click on a tif file in a folder it opens just fine... it just wont work when trying to open them from within that program..
                right - i have no problem seting the associations and clicking on the files to open - my problem is when using the aforementioned program. i was wondering if there was a setting or something that would make it work from with in that program like it does in win XP...

See orgional post above
                thanks

Comment

Hi,

do you know how to use regedit?
                  If so can you tell me what entries your system has for:
                  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithProgids
                  There should be an entry "IrfanView.tif" (REG_SZ).

And what is stored in
                  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.tif\shell\open\command
                  ?

Regards, Nils

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
                    Hi,

do you know how to use regedit?
                    If so can you tell me what entries your system has for:
                    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\OpenWithProgids
                    There should be an entry "IrfanView.tif" (REG_SZ).
                    YES There isAnd what is stored in
                    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.tif\shell\open\command
                    ?
                    Irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%1"

Regards, Nils

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Is your problem solved?
                      What was the solution?

Comment

no - unfortunality it still wont do what i need

Comment

So unfortunatelly since you wont answer some questions I'm not able to help you.
                          Maybe someone else can.

Comment

I have just re-read what you wrote and note that this is just a problem when you try to open the image in Irfanview from within Microsoft Photo Viewer. I do not use that program but understand that you can click on Open and select from a number of programs to open the current image. Is Irfanview one of the choices?
                            Microsoft programs are always a pain. I have some hyperlinks to some of my images in a Word document that used to open fine in Irfanview with Control + click. Now a security warning opens every time and I have to Click Yes on that every time I select one.
                            Apart from the faster start up and shut down I have yet to find anything much in Widows 7 that seems any better than Vista and quite a lot of new annoyances to contend with.

Comment

Working...
                            X