Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!Decode error opening ECW!

Hi there,

Is there a limit on opening .ecw files? I have opened a file that is around 700mb, but Irfanview pops up a decode error when trying to open a file that is 900mb

is there a size limit on these files??

cheers.

There is always going to be a size limit on any file type. IrfanView needs to be able to allocate sufficient memory, and how much memory can be allocated is not just down to how much you have installed.

This earlier thread reported the same issue, but with no response.

Note that due to compression the size in memory is more than the size on disk. Check the information dialogue for the image that you can open to see the size of the image in memory.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

A short "workaround" for this problem (I'm sorry, I'm not able to test it, because I don't have any large ecw file):

Try to convert it to a jpg or png to get a short impression of the image.

Comment

Hi,

but every picture picture you load with IrfanView will be expanded in memory and converted into 24bpp so converting should not really be a solution.

Regards, Nils

Comment

Hey Guys, I also have this problem opening a 2gb ECW file.
          Converting the file is not an option for me.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

then we have to wait for a 64-bit IrfanView application (+ plugin must also be compiled for a 64-bit platform)...

Stefan

Comment

Working...
            X