Need to Adjust White balance in IrfanView v4.28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to Adjust White balance in IrfanView v4.28

Hi, I have a PC Win7 64bit & InfranView v4.28. Using an Olympus C-7000 camera I'm taking digital pictures of coins and art medals then editing the pictures in InfranView 4.28. The color balance is off (too yellow/gold). The coins or medals are resting on a white paper tool. The coins and the towel have a strong yellow tint. Can I remove the tint in InfranView?

Thanks

(At later date I'll try to get rid of the yellow tint in the camera or lighting)

If you are shooting in RAW mode, there should be some software, that came with your camera, to adjust this. - If you are shooting in JPG mode, you can use a freeware filter I created, to be found here.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi,

you also could try to set the white balance in your camera if you are taking jpegs.
      But since you camera supports RAW you should take a picture of your white paper before you taking a picture of a coin. If you take a pictures with daylight only you shoot do this before every session, and maybe between some coins. Also it is good if you can defocus this white picture, so you should have a reference picture for the white balance. Using a RAW converter you should be able to get the white balance values and apply them on you coin pictures.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Thanks for posting the replies. I believe something else is going on besides the light balance. I'll make some changes to the setup then post the results.

Attempted to upload a sample of the problem but failed. Will try again later.

Comment

Hi Hermes,
          It sounds to me as if your primary problem is, as you say, "white balance". The question of how to correct for this in Irfanview hasn't really been addressed (and it's a problem that I'm suffering from myself), though the comments about setting up the camera are generally valid.
          Some of my white-balance issues have come from taking photos underwater, where the colour of the incoming light changes on a minute-by-minute basis ; which is why my diving camera has a few-clicks way of adjusting it's white balance. Going back to re-take the photos is not an option (though for your studio photos it might be possible), so some technique for correcting the photos themselves would be desirable.

My ideas for dealing with the images are starting from "I have this image ; the colour in this point of the image should be this, not that ; so, I should be able to use IFVW/Image/ColourCorrections/[RGB sliders] to correct the image".

Now, I've been using the point measure feature (click on an image point, the header bar gives you the RGB value at that point), and I have photos which include a diving "slate" which has white, red, green and blue areas, some of which were taken with proper settings on the camera, and others were taken with the camera set up wrongly (my fault). So, that should give me the information I need to work out how to correct the colours.
          Unfortunately, it looks like crap. So I'm doing something wrong.

My "good" pictures have readings like (white area RGB value, red area, green area, blue) :
          white 175/175/177 ; red area 154/15/12 ; green 8/85/35 ; blue 15/35/83
          My "bad" pictures have readings like white 122/122/132 ; red 100/10/10 green 10/50/20 ; blue B10/10/30.

I use a diving slate like this (this is the "good" picture) to write notes out in the field ; the colour blocks are for precisely this sort of technical adjustment.

I'm trying to work out how to go from the data (images) that I've got, to a set of colour balance adjustments which I can apply en masse to the 30-odd images that I took with the camera on the wrong settings.

This is pretty similar to Hermes original problem ; some of his coins may be gold (with a known colour), or contain objects of known colour which will give the correction information he needs. Essentially, it's the same problem.

(I do have some B/W darkroom experience, from decades ago ; but doing such exposure adjustments in a computer ... that's new to me.)
          But now, I have several thousand other images to JPG-comment appropriately from that holiday, so I've got other work to do.

Comment

Forgot to post the "slate" image. Or was paranoid about post/ image size, or something.
            Oh, it's got to be on the web somewhere.
            Flickr? That works (on the 3rd attempt).

DSC_3341-mini by aidan_karley, on Flickr
            Last edited by RockDoctor; 18.04.2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture, third try.

Comment

Originally posted by hermes View Post
              Hi, I have a PC Win7 64bit & InfranView v4.28. Using an Olympus C-7000 camera I'm taking digital pictures of coins and art medals then editing the pictures in InfranView 4.28. The color balance is off (too yellow/gold). The coins or medals are resting on a white paper tool. The coins and the towel have a strong yellow tint. Can I remove the tint in InfranView?
              A quick fix to reduce the amount of yellow in the picture might be to use the Yellow Eye reduction filter that you will find under Image > Effects > Effects browser. Press Ctrl+A to select the whole image before opening the Effects browser if you want to apply it everywhere.

Comment

Working...
              X