Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview creates an IrfanView folder in each directory it is opened in

Title pretty much says it all.

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. Installed IrfanView and it works fine. However, if I open IrfanView by doubleclicking on an image, a folder is created called IrfanView. Inside that folder irfanview creates another i_view32.ini file. The settings under OPEN are the folder it was opened in. Sometimes it will add positioning data under a WinPosition header.

Just to make sure, I've checked my AppData/Roaming/IrfanView folder and there is an entry in there.

[Language]
    DLL=ENGLISH
    Lang=English
    [Toolbar]
    Skin=Grosberg_24.png
    Size=24
    [WinPosition]
    xKoord=0
    yKoord=0
    Width=631
    Height=552
    Maximized=0
    [Other]
    INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

I actually added the other entry trying to fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can anyone help me figure out why IrfanView keeps making folders with ini files in them?

You should not have that INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView line in the ini file in Appdata. Only in the one in Program Files. Delete it from the Appdata ini.

Comment

Originally posted by Thresher View Post

I actually added the other entry trying to fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can anyone help me figure out why IrfanView keeps making folders with ini files in them?
      Err, I've literally never seen Windows 7 - and hope not to ; I've left to join the Penguin - but wouldn't you be better with something like %USERHOME%/path/to/MY/Irfanview/configuration/folder.

I'm not sure that the world of Windows still calls the appropriate environment variable "%USERHOME%", but it used to be something like that.
      What Irfanview would then do would be to go to one particular location in the user's home directory and look for it's configuration data there. Different user, different configuration.
      If %APPDATA% means what it sounds like (the appropriate /proc/[Process ID number]/... folder), then presumably your request is being denied (which is good ; writing into /proc is a super-user-don't-do-this-at-home way of dancing in minefields), and Windows is doing what's requested in the current working directory instead.
      Sorry, I'm not an admin ; I'm pretty sure what is going on, but expressing it in Window-ese isn't my strong point.

Comment

Hi,

please go to your IrfanView folder in "Program Files" and make sure that:

1. ) there's a file called i_view32.ini

2.) content:
        [Other]

That means if you are running IrfanView, all your settings (you've done in IrfanView) will be saved in the i_view32.ini in your Application Folder (%APPDATA) (for your current user).

Comment

Steve, the file is there and it has that entry in it, yet the program still keeps writing an ini file in every folder I open it in.

Comment

As I said in my earlier post the line INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView should not be in an ini file in the user Appdata folder, just in the one in the Program Files\Irfanview folder but it still would not cause what you describe.
            So it is a complete mystery to me what is happening. What is put in these ini files that are created in every folder you open?

Comment

I have the same problem - every time I open an image, Irfanview makes a folder (called Irfanview) in the image file location, e.g. the desktop.

I'm using v4.28 with plugins - it never did this before today.

I have tried uninstalling Irfanview, cleaning the registry, then reinstalling v4.28 - and it still does the same thing.

Does anyone have a solution?
              Last edited by SWLD; 06.05.2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X