This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Absolute new canvas size

It would be woderful to be able to set new canvas size to the absolute values like in Adobe Photoshop (see image below). Especially in batch conversions where you have a lot of images with different original size
    Is it possible to implement such function? Thank you.

Yes
    33.33%
    Probably yes
    0.00%
    Probably no
    33.33%
    No
    33.33%

IrfanView can already change an image to whatever size you want. What is it that you think your suggestion does that it is not already capable of doing?

And, as for the "" poll at the top of this thread, you forgot one other possibility, such as "what?!" because I don't know what it is you are wanting there, either. What is an "absolute position" ? I know how to position an image on a Widows desktop to some position (other than the default center), but what is it you are talking about?
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
      IrfanView can already change an image to whatever size you want. What is it that you think your suggestion does that it is not already capable of doing?
      I don't want to resize image, but to change the canvas size - it means, you can add blank space around the image.

And, as for the "" poll at the top of this thread, you forgot one other possibility, such as "what?!" because I don't know what it is you are wanting there, either. What is an "absolute position" ? I know how to position an image on a Widows desktop to some position (other than the default center), but what is it you are talking about?
      Damned - It is supposed to be "size" instead of "position"... so "Would you use function to change canvas size to the fixed size?".
      BTW: Is there a way to change it in the poll title?

Comment

Originally posted by PenaPP View Post
        I don't want to resize image, but to change the canvas size - it means, you can add blank space around the image.
        There already is a way of doing this. It is not as "one-click" convenience, but in its own way, it has some nice features too.

All you have to do is:
        1. Open the image you want to have blank space around. Note its size, in pixels, let's call that x and y.
        2. Press Ctrl-C to copy the image into the Window buffer.
        3. Select the command Image>Create New (empty) image; or just press Shift-N.
        4. In the control window enter the size and color of the border that you want. Make the size as large as you want, this is the full canvas, so it should be bigger than the noted x and y from step 1. BUT, it does not have to be bigger, it's up to you. Press the [OK] button when you made those entries.
        5. In the new blank canvas use the mouse to left-click the size of frame you want your copied image to be. This ought to be the x and y size you noted from step 1, but again it does not have to be. It can even be a ratio that is totally unlike what you had originally opened back in step 1. You might want to do that for some sort of stretched effect.
          Note: If the position is not just where you want, just do a right-click-drag somewhere in the center of your drawn frame and drag it around in that new canvas. The size will remain the same.
        6. Then just do a Ctrl-V to paste the copied image (from step 1) into that positioned frame. Done.

Oh, another thing, a sort of easy way to make a mosaic of this same image, if you enter in more frames, anywhere in this canvas, you can again press Ctrl-V to paste in another image of your original image. This can be used for some very useful effects.
        Last edited by ChuckE; 19.04.2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

There already is a way of doing this. It is not as "one-click" convenience, but in its own way, it has some nice features too.
          I know about it, but it's quite complicated and just a workaround, which can't be used in batch conversion
          But thank you for your interest
          Last edited by PenaPP; 19.04.2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I think such feature request can't be realized!

Because pictures are to different!
            For instance you can have pictures with 4000x3000 pixel, 400x300 pixel, 40x30 pixel, ...
            And until now canvas size using fix values!
            But if picture size of different pictures are to different, then it would be better (and logical) to use proportional values!

For instance:
            • I you're using for 4000x3000 pixel a canvas size = 100x75 pixel
            • then you must using for 400x300 pixel a canvas size = 10x8 pixel

That could be to difficult ... because of a permanent proportional adjustment and necessary rounding! ...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              Adobe Photoshop has that function, so it has to be possible to realize that
              Because pictures are to different!
              For instance you can have pictures with 4000x3000 pixel, 400x300 pixel, 40x30 pixel, ...
              And until now canvas size using fix values!
              But if picture size of different pictures are to different, then it would be better (and logical) to use proportional values!

For instance:
              • I you're using for 4000x3000 pixel a canvas size = 100x75 pixel
              • then you must using for 400x300 pixel a canvas size = 10x8 pixel

That could be to difficult ... because of a permanent proportional adjustment and necessary rounding! ...
              There is no problem with different sizes - if the dimension is wider it will be cropped and if it is shorter it will be filled with some background color around it

Comment

Perhaps Adobe Photoshop can do that, but is it free? does it profess itself to be a graphic viewer with a few extra features? or does it profess itself to be a full-fledged graphic workshop and editing tool?

IrfanView is free, and while almost anything that can be thought of, and detailed enough, can be programmed into a program, who is going to pay for the effort to make it so? Programmers are a selfish breed, they like to eat, and have all the toys you can imagine, but no one gets it for free.

Comment

There already is a way of doing this. It is not as "one-click" convenience, but in its own way, it has some nice features too. (then some details follow...)
                  I know about it, but it's quite complicated and just a workaround, which can't be used in batch conversion
                  But thank you for your interest
                  There is one other way to add a border, actually up to 4 bands of individual borders, each with its own color, and all being any individual width you want. Just use the command Image>Add border/frame. Various effects and borders are already set up, but you can modify from there, such as changing the colors and widths.

Comment

Perhaps Adobe Photoshop can do that, but is it free? does it profess itself to be a graphic viewer with a few extra features? or does it profess itself to be a full-fledged graphic workshop and editing tool?

IrfanView is free, and while almost anything that can be thought of, and detailed enough, can be programmed into a program, who is going to pay for the effort to make it so? Programmers are a selfish breed, they like to eat, and have all the toys you can imagine, but no one gets it for free.
                    Actually Irfan View already has Canvas size changer, so it would be just another method - no fixed margins, but fixed final size. It needs a few changes in GUI and a little bit of math in code.
                    And don't tell me about programmers - I'm one of them

Comment

And don't tell me about programmers - I'm one of them
                      Well, welcome to the fold. ... then you should have known better. Perhaps you'd get better response by simply emailing the single developer/programmer Irfan Skiljan at irfanviewATgmxDOTnet

This forum is just a bunch of users who try and help each other with IrfanView. It has never been proven if Irfan even reads this forum.

Comment

This forum is just a bunch of users who try and help each other with IrfanView. It has never been proven if Irfan even reads this forum.
                        Well - that's the thing I should have known about a long time ago

Comment

Whenever you see a comment like "feature can't be realized" just after a screenshot of a program depicting the implementation of precisely this very feature, one naturally has to wonder big time about the intentions of the comment's author.

because of a permanent proportional adjustment and necessary rounding! ...
                          I think you misunderstand the implications (and thus - per definition - you shouldn't have voted "no"). There is absolutely no rounding involved. Neither a "permanent proportional adjustment". PenaPP wants to - quote - "be able to set new canvas size to absolute values [in batch mode]". Example, if you set the dimensions to 1200 x 900 ALL images will have this size! No rounding, no nothing. Images smaller than the specified size will be padded with a specifiable color (i.e. placed on a canvas). Images larger than the specified size will be cropped.

The "anchor" (see image in OP) defines if canvas enlarging/cropping should be centered or directional.
                          Last edited by boarder's paradise; 20.04.2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

boarder's paradise: Exactly

Comment

Adobe Photoshop has that function, so it has to be possible to realize that
                              There is no problem with different sizes - if the dimension is wider it will be cropped and if it is shorter it will be filled with some background color around it
                              Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                              Whenever you see a comment like "feature can't be realized" just after a screenshot of a program depicting the implementation of precisely this very feature, one naturally has to wonder big time about the intentions of the comment's author.
                              Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                              I think you misunderstand the implications (and thus - per definition - you shouldn't have voted "no"). ...
                              I think the intention is wrong!
                              IrfanView mainly is an image viewer and not a canvas and/or picture frame editor!

That is the reason for my answer!
                              But possibly I think wrong!
                              Because if sufficient user have such a request, then my opinion is naturally totally unimportant!

Comment

Working...
                              X