X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Copy Buttons on the Infomation Page

Hi,

Great program.

I would like to suggest that the information "I" dialog box have "copy to clipboard" buttons next to the file name, folder name and, full path name fields. I constantly use copy and paste of image path names, and this would be most helpful. It could also be optional tool bar buttons.

Roman

In case you are unaware, like most things in Irfanview, there are keyboard shortcuts that let you do this job quickly. After pressing I to open Information press Tab once, twice or 3 times to highlight the one you want, press the context menu button (next to the RH Ctrl key), then C to copy to clipboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      In case you are unaware, like most things in Irfanview, there are keyboard shortcuts that let you do this job quickly.
      This is one I was unaware of. Although I was aware that the fields could be copied using the mouse, its not immediately obvious that one can tab through the fields with the keyboard. They don't look like normal edit fields. Unfortunately, there are no access keys on this dialogue, so you have to tab many times or shift tab a few times to get to the current memory size, for example.

Still, if you regularly need to copy the same information, you will soon learn the shortest route.

I cannot see a case for adding a copy button next to some fields, but not others, and the dialogue would look cluttered with so many buttons. I cannot see Irfan doing this just to favour mouse users.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The entries lower down the Information box are less problem because they fit within their boxes so are easier to highlight in the normal way by left click and drag over the text. You can then either use Ctrl+C or, if you prefer all mouse, right click on highlighted box and left click on Copy from the menu that appears.
        Folder name and Full path name are harder to highlight because you usually have to wait for auto scrolling to complete the action and the risk of missing a bit at one end or the other is much greater.
        Yes, Bhikkhu, although they are not enabled for editing I think they must all be individual edit boxes because they remember what was previously highlighted (once you have wholly or partially highlighted one, you can return from elsewhere in the dialog and just right click to recall the previous highlighting). Also some of the options on the context menu are only applicable to editing.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses!

I see that the use of the "I" shortcut and tabbing through the fields is quite adequate and fully I understand adding the copy buttons to that dialog box would be cluttered.

But I still think that some sort of optional tool bar button to copy either the full file, full path, or name would be helpful. Different people use the same program in a visual manner and other prefer keyboard shortcuts.

Thank you.

Comment

There is also a shortcut Shift+P which can be used to send the full file path and name to the clipboard when the Information dialog is not open.

A feature request was submitted long ago to make all toolbar buttons reconfigurable so that any keyboard shortcut could be linked to an available button but there is still no sign of that being implemented.

Comment

Working...
            X