PNG compression in Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNG compression in Irfanview

I converted a number of files from JP2 to PNG, all greyscale, and I am trying to compress them using the RIOT plugin but I am not having any luck! Also, as one of the options of Riot is to work with advpng, and this doesn't exist in the plugins directory, nor can it find the file to download. The upload requirement is PNG and they are too large. The .PNG images after compression are larger than before. I also installed the RIOT standalone software but this is no different. Can someone help please? Thanks.
    Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Try selecting the PNGOUT plugin from the Save as PNG dialogue. Its slow but should give good compression.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Try selecting the PNGOUT plugin from the Save as PNG dialogue. Its slow but should give good compression.
      Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have ~7,000 images to process. Do I have any fast options with Irfanview?

Comment

PNG Crush gets good compression much faster than PNGOUT, but you will need to run a rename utility afterwards. That's workable on large numbers of images. I use it to optimise a hundred or so images at a time for Opera skins.
        1. I select the folder of images in Explorer
        2. I run PNG crush which takes a minute or so on a hundred images. It adds a 2 to the filename.
        3. I move the new images to C:\TEMP
        4. I rename the new images
        5. I select all to check that they did actually get smaller than the originals
        6. I move them back and overwrite the originals
        Attach a few sample images to the forum to see what results I can get with PNGCRUSH.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.04.2011, 06:29 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I checked and understood the online setup info. It's like old times!!! . . . . . back to DOS :-) I will play with this for awhile so there will a delay before I respond, Have a nice day.

Comment

For usage of advpng with RIOT just download and install advpng.exe and it’s dependency – zlib.dll – in the plugins folder.
            You can download advpng from here:

Advpng is much faster than pngout and provides good results.
            RIOT developer
            visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
              For usage of advpng with RIOT just download and install advpng.exe and it’s dependency – zlib.dll – in the plugins folder.
              Thanks luciansabo. I downloaded and copied advpng.exe and zlib.dll to the C:\Program Files\Irfanview\Plugins folder as instructed. Irfanview plugins list shows the files as unknown and RIOT.DLL v0.3.3.0 was also installed with the 4.28 plugins package. Is the menu option "Save for web (Plugin)" activates advpng?

Comment

advpng has nothing to do with IrfanView. It is now an IrfanView plugin. You need to put it there for RIOT as will be used only be RIOT. Please update RIOT to the latest version from the official website.
                RIOT developer
                visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Working...
                X